Thursday, January 6, 2022

Is Mrs. HM Lucky, Or What?

The correct answer is OR WHAT. Oh, Mrs. HM is lucky enough on her scratchers, but today's topic goes beyond lucky. Beyond coincidence, which you know Mrs. HM is not a believer in.

Several years ago, I kept getting emails several times a week telling me I had won a national lottery. Not in this country, of course. Funny how I had won, without even entering! Can't get much luckier than that! Of course I didn't respond. Didn't click on any links. Mrs. HM knows her way around a scam. The first clue was that every email was addressed to GLORIA. Which is not Mrs. HM's name.

Well. On December 26, I started getting emails from Green Dot. I've never heard of Green Dot. I'm sure I'll get even more stuff now that I've named them here. Anyhoo... the first email said: 

Thank you for signing up for the Green Dot Card. Your personalized Green Dot Card is on the way. 
 
Your new personalized card is on its way and will arrive in 2 weeks!

What to do now:

* Continue using (and reloading) the card you have for now
 
* When your personalized card arrives, be sure to activate it before use. This unlocks the exclusive features like Online Bill Pay and Photo Check Deposit.

* Once activated, the money on your temporary card will automatically be transferred to your personalized card.

Oh, REALLY? Funny how I never signed up for a Green Dot Card. So I don't have a temporary card, and I most certainly have never put money on such a card. Sweet Gummi Mary! I was getting 2 or 3 emails a day, up to December 31. The last two saying there had been some problems with the system, but then that account services were back up and running now, to retry activation and registration. From my friends at Green Dot.
 
I tried checking out the Green Dot Bank with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). But got a message on their website saying "This profile is currently being updated. You will not be able to read any existing reviews at this time, but you may leave a review." There must be a lot of recent "reviews" for the Green Dot people.

Heh, heh. Something fishy going on here. More like something PHISHY! My first clue was that every email started out by saying HI LARRY.

I wonder if Larry knows Gloria.

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I keep getting emails from Lowes and Sams Club thanking me for my loyalty. I have no account with either place. I keep marking them as spam and they just keep coming.

River said...

I got a weird email myself this morning, the word PayPal was in the title, claiming I had a prize, but when I held the cursor over the sender name a really long unknown address showed up, so I didn't open it, just sent it to the spam folder then deleted it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Are you sure HeWho hasn't been up to something? Like giving out your email to enter something? I know he's bad with passwords, but he MIGHT remember your email!

***
River,
I get several emails a week from PayPal. I don't open them, even if I've used it for a purchase recently. After a couple weeks, I go through deleting them.

I had a strange one today from PayPal saying a place had updated that my order had shipped. Except I got that order about three weeks ago. Might be a scam. I'll call the credit card automated line, for the card linked to PayPal, to see if there's any new charge. If so, I'll be calling that place to see why they sent me ANOTHER order!