Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Mrs HM Is Somewhat Conveniently Cared For (PT 2)

When we last convened, Mrs. HM was sitting in the waiting room of convenient care, clinging to her sanity by a thread. One, by one, the other denizens were called back. The 50ish Hacker. The Heavy-Breathing Lithe Man Dressed in Black. The Congested Blond Moppet. And then it was just me and Father/Daughter.

The door to the inner sanctum flung open, and a gal announced: "HM." Only my real name, of course. I knew I wasn't next. Father/Daughter stood and ambled over. Huh. Who knew there was so many HMs in this area?

When it was finally my turn, I tottered precariously on my dizzy legs. Did the weigh in, not even caring enough to take off my jacket. Sat in the room and gave my complaints, and got vitals taken. Then the NP came in. She was not the one I had last time, who cured my double ear infection. That one looked like an earth mother cross between a former colleague, and Genius's friend's mom. THIS ONE looked like a bird. Beaky and beady-eyed.

For some reason, Birdy seemed to doubt my symptoms. It didn't help that my traitorous temperature was only 99 when shot with a temple gun.

"Do you have THE VIRUS?"

"I don't know. I don't think so."

"Do you want a test?"

"Why? It's not like you'd give me any kind of treatment..."

Birdy shrugged, as in, "Touche!" I had her there.

"Three days of fever for a sinus infection is unusual."

"It's how I felt last time."

"You have a little congestion, and some color on the right side."

"I had a cold last Monday. Lasted four days, and I was over it. But then on Saturday, this congestion and bloody snot started."

"Oh! That makes much more sense. You got over it, then it came back."

"Last time I got doxycycline, and that worked."

"Huh. How about a Z-Pack? Are you able to take Azithromycin?"

"I've had it before."

"Let me go compare it to your other medications. We'll see which is best."

She came back shortly. Said she was calling in the Z-Pack. No idea what's wrong with me, or why I'm so dizzy. To follow up with my doctor if that continues.

Farmer H drove across the street to my pharmacy and got my Z-Pack. I felt SO BAD. Nothing to eat or drink without feeling nauseated. I did tell him that maybe a DQ grilled chicken sandwich would stay down. My sweet baboo got it for me.

Once home, Pony got my first two pills out of that blister pack. I took a bite of my chicken sandwich, and IT WAS SO TOUGH!

"I HEARD THAT, Mom! How disappointing."

"Yeah. I jammed my teeth together. Now I will have teeth too big for my mouth again. But the rest of it looks okay. I just have to take tiny bites."

As I write this Tuesday night, I've spent another day mostly sleeping. Still dizzy. Still fevered, though it went away for a couple hours around noon. And it seems to stay at 100 or less. Farmer H brought me another chicken sandwich around 3:00. That, and a Hawaiian Roll, plus a banana, was an improvement on my diet. For supper before the next Z-Pill, I had a plain chicken patty dipped in BBQ sauce. It might be the best thing I've eaten in four days. Right now I'm having a few saltines with my nightly aspirin.

I really wish I could get over this dizzy/nausea/fever thing. I did manage to work in a shower, but had to cut it short when my dizziness took over.

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

That's how I felt last time I was sick. I did nothing but sleep and moan!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
It gives me SO MUCH HOPE, knowing that you have recovered. At least I can lay around all day and moan.

River said...

You should have taken the test. With or without treatment, at least you would know for sure if it was covid or not. How dare chicken sandwiches be too tough to eat!
Hope you start feeling better soon.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
"Knowing" might be worth it to you, but not worth the stick up my nose to me.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I hope you're feeling better today. Farmer H sounds like he's turning into a regular Molly Pitcher or Clara Barton.

(BTW, there is snow falling here. Of course, not enough and not early enough for a snow day.)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
About the same. Farmer H is a comfort, just knowing he can sweave me away to the doctor if need be. It would be more fun if he wore a white dress and cap like old-style nurses!

Such a waste of snow...