Monday, February 14, 2022

The First Non-Medical Outing

I had asked Farmer H to take me to town on Saturday, Feb 12. It was Day 22 since I became ill, and I wasn't feeling like driving, but wanted to see if I was getting back to normal. It was easier to get down the porch steps than on my doctor visit on Wednesday. I even took a dog biscuit out for Juno and Jack. They were thrilled, but not all jumpy with me. Almost as if they sensed my weakness.

We took A-Cad, because I didn't think I could climb up into T-Hoe. It's awkward at healthy times, since I'm used to the driver's door side. The ride was uneventful. I had a couple of dizzy spells when I turned my head. Farmer H parked out in front of Country Mart, where I often park myself. There was a cart left on the sidewalk, so I had the cart/walker to lean on while going inside. Farmer H had wanted to drop me off at the door, but I wanted him beside me.

The wind cut through me like a knife. I tried to keep a slow pace to the door. Inside, I stopped for two chef salads in the cold case. They looked so good! And they were! I sent Farmer H to grab some bananas. Of course I didn't inspect them, and once home, saw that they were the tiniest bananas ever to enter the Mansion. We picked up some cupcakes for Birthday HM and Pony. A bag of gold potatoes. A bag of sweet onions. Got a loaf of Texas Toast bread that The Pony uses to make garlic bread. Some assorted mini candy bars that Pony had asked for. Saltine crackers, which I was craving. Picked up Coke at four 6-packs for $10. Diet Mountain Dew at three 6-packs for $9. Got two Kraft Mayonnaise on sale. I made Farmer H lean down to pick them up, and make sure the date was good. July 2022. I got a box of fake honey nut cheerios. A bag of frozen french fries, which I also crave. And Farmer H found his individual ice cream cups.

By the time we hit the mayonnaise aisle, I was feeling a little shaky. Not like I was going to faint. Just shaky. I leaned on my cart/walker. We made it to the other end of the store. I was not very attentive at the checkout as Farmer H put food on the conveyor. He managed to flip the cupcakes completely upside down, knocking them out of their little cups, shaking all the sprinkles off them, gumming their buttercream icing to the clear container.

"Oh, do you want to go get another one?" The checker must be familiar with Farmer H type customers.

"No. That was the last one. We'll keep it."

Farmer H is not good at putting food back into the cart. He had it all awkward, so that it barely fit. I could not concern myself with that. I had to keep my last scrap of strength to stop by the lottery machines and cash in some winners I'd been holding for three weeks. I only won back $16. So it was not a good effort, although The Pony won $4 on a two-dollar ticket I got him, and $2 on a Cash4Life.

Once outside, I made it to A-Cad and got in while Farmer H loaded the groceries in the trunk. He unloaded everything at home. I was putting them away as he brought bags in. I had to sit down and take a breather. It was an exhausting trip, but I think I did pretty well.

Baby steps. As I write this, it's Sunday, and I feel stronger than any day previous.

4 comments:

River said...

I'm glad you got out and shopped, doubly glad Farmer H helped. You're really on the mend now.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Once I've been through Country Mart, a full recovery can't be far away!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Soon you'll be back to 100% and will be racing to town for your elixir and scratch-offs...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I hope so! And back in my lair and OPC (Old People Chair). It seems like so long ago. It's been almost a month! Since Jan 22.