Monday, February 7, 2022

When It Snows It Pours

This has not been a good week for the Hillbilly family. First my four-day hospitalization. The snowstorm that came in Wednesday. Farmer H wrecking A-Cad and SilverRedO. Then Saturday night, when I went to bed, I didn't hear Farmer H's breather. I poked him.

"It broke."

"Your breather broke?"

"Yes. It quit working."

"What are you going to do? Do you need to sit up in the chair?"

"No. I'm breathing."

"Well. Sometimes. You're snorting. Gasping."

"I'll be okay. I'll have to get another one."

Well. To get another breather will require a doctor appointment. Probably a sleep study. And around $800 for a new one. The main issue being the TIME to get one.

"I actually bought one at the auction for $2."

"You think that will work? A USED one for $2?"

"I'll have to try it. It's over in the BARn."

But it wasn't.

"Maybe I left it in my truck. But that's over at Mick the Mechanic. Do you have your key?"

"I don't remember having a key to SilverRedO."

"Maybe it only came with one."

"I'll check my purse. There's THIS one..."

"No. That's for the Acadia."

"Well. Maybe it's on the whole key ring. Two look alike."

"Yeah. One of these is it. I'll take the whole thing and go check. I don't want to be messing around on the parking lot in the dark when I go pick up The Pony."

The auction breather was not in SilverRedO.

"Maybe it's in the basement."

Whew! It was. In a pile of stuff Farmer H had brought in from SilverRedO before Christmas. He took it out of the nice bag. He actually bought it to get the mask, which is $80 to buy one. But this had all the instructions and everything. He got it plugged in, and it worked! He disinfected it. So we're hoping it will work for a while.

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

HeWho got his equipment free through Medicare. He doesn't use it like he should, but he does a lot of things he shouldn't do! He lost a good bit of weight and seems to not need it as much, or so he says.

River said...

Well that's a relief! A working breather so you don't need all the time and bother associated with getting one through a doctor.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H could probably get his through Medicare now, though it will be a long process. He always uses his, even when traveling he packs it up. He says he doesn't remember what his was set on, but thinks this auction breather is at least at that level. Says he slept better with it the first night.

***
River,
I'm still wondering if Farmer H needs to get a new one. You never know how long this used one will last. Although his old one was probably over 20 years old. I asked Farmer H why somebody would just sell a good breather for $2 at the auction, and he said, "Probably the person died, and it was in the estate stuff." Not exactly comforting...