Friday, February 25, 2022

It's WHO You Know

It's probably WHOM you know, but I'm not a stickler for proper pronouns. 
 
Farmer H took me by the pharmacy after my most recent visit to Convenient Care. I had prednisone for five days, and doxycycline for seven days. I always thought an antibiotic was prescribed for ten days, but you know I'm such a shrinking violet that it didn't occur to me to question it. I didn't know until I got home, and I sure wasn't interested in calling NP Birdy to ask. I might insist on a certain drug, but I don't presume to know the dosage.
 
Anyhoo... my prescriptions were not quite ready. I was told this by the pharmacist himself, who was behind the tall counter. I might have mentioned before that this pharmacist is the older brother of two of my former students. He met my eye as I walked in.

"Oh, we're working on your prescriptions now. They're almost ready."

"Thanks."

"Would you like me to run your regular prescriptions now? To save you a trip? It's almost time for the refills."
 
"I don't think so. I still have enough left. I always do them on the same day. The 25th, I think. This is only the 22nd." 
 
"Yes, you call them in on the 25th."
 
"Okay, I'll just wait. I don't want to get too far ahead."
 
I was browsing at the medicines on the shelves of that tall counter, looking for the Benedryl. Just in case of an allergic reaction that would make me break out into even more spots. I found the Benedryl pills. But not the liquid form, which NP Birdy had suggested. I guess it gets absorbed faster.

"Could you tell me where to find the liquid Benedryl? I see the pills here. I'm supposed to get it in case I have an allergic reaction."

"It's on the children's shelf behind you. Get the generic."

"Okay. Thank you."

I looked. And looked. Saw the brand name. But not the generic.

"Huh. I can't seem to find the generic."

"It's right there beside the original."

"Sorry. I'm just not seeing it."

The Pharmacist came out from behind that long tall counter, and reached out and handed me the generic.

"Wow! They're such tricksters! It's the exact same style and color as the real box!"

He chuckled and went back to his job. Great with customer service, that guy!

Shortly, I got my prescriptions and paid for them and the fake children's Benedryl. The girl ringing them up was extra-nice to me. It's who you know, people! Though I'm sure The Pharmacist would have been just as polite to any old HICK off the street... 

At least he made me feel special.

5 comments:

River said...

I have always known antibiotics to be for seven days, perhaps a ten day script might be for more severe infections. I haven't had any since my last tooth infection back in 2016.
I hope your itchy redness areas get better quickly now.

Unknown said...

Lots of people have called me "special" although for some reason, their tone of voice makes me think it's not a compliment...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Maybe I've been sicker than I thought, those times I needed antibiotics. As for my itchy redness, the saga continues...

***
Unknown,
I don't think you should worry, unless they also say, "Bless your heart!"

Kathy's Klothesline said...

It is always good to develop a good relationship with your health care providers!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Can't hurt! Though I'm not too fond of the idea when it relates to befriending Birdy, the NP.