Wednesday, March 16, 2022

A New Estranged BFF

Farmer H has grown disillusioned with his buddy Mick the Mechanic. SilverRedO is once again being held hostage on Mick's lot. Oh, Farmer H could go and recalaim SilverRedO any time. But he wants that head gasket fixed.

SilverRedO has been there about a week and a half. In fact, Farmer H has borrowed a truck for hauling stuff to Pony House. What's the point in having a truck if you can't use it? At this stage in his life, Farmer H does not need to be borrowing trucks.

"Mick is about to make me mad! He was supposed to start working on SilverRedO on Friday. But when I asked about it yesterday, Mick said, 'I'm not sure I want one of my bays tied up with a long-term project.' So I think I'll just go get my truck and take it to someone else. Maybe the Chevy dealer. Or I know another guy who can do it."

"Well, the dealer might charge more. But I agree that you need to get your truck back."

"Yeah. I can haul Pony's furniture with it, then get it fixed."

I HOPE SilverRedO will start after sitting so long. I also understand that Mick the Mechanic is a businessman, and he needs to do what's best for his business. He could probably make more than the $1600 that SilverRedO would bring him, by cycling more jobs through his shop during the time it would take to fix that head gasket. I don't think Farmer H will hold it against Mick for too long. He's just all hyped-up about going without his truck for a couple weeks, so soon after getting it back after the tow truck damage during the snow.

Mick has always put Farmer H's jobs ahead of others when he needed something done, like a tire repair or brake problem. I'm pretty sure Farmer H will get over it, and Mick will once again be his BFF.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

It sounds like Farmer H doesn't hold a grudge for long. Is that true? If so, is it due to his good nature or forgetfulness?

I'm on Spring Break, baby--something you no longer know the joy of. (Of course, every week is Spring Break for you. ;)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Men get over slights that women would need to carry for a while. I agree that the truck needs to be fixed, what is the point of having a truck if you can't use it.

River said...

How long does it take to replace a head gasket? it's not like a complete overhaul and cleaning surely? And why couldn't Mick say in the beginning it would take too much of his time?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
The longest grudges are devoted to ME! Farmer H is good-natured, and gets over the slights quickly. Except for a doctor he had as a boy, whom he heard told somebody, "Those boys will never amount to anything." Well, Farmer H did pretty well for himself, one brother retired from the Air Force, and another was head of security at Circus Circus in Las Vegas for a while.

***
Kathy,
Exactly. We didn't buy a truck for it to sit on a repair shop lot.

***
River,
I think you have to take the engine apart and put it back together. I guess maybe Mick felt loyal to Farmer H, and WANTED to do the job, until he considered his profit margin. Farmer H went by today, and Mick said he was just getting ready to pull SilverRedO into the garage, but since Farmer H needed him to haul stuff, then he should take SilverRedO back.

Mick said he's still not sure a new head gasket is exactly what SilverRedO needs. That SilverRedO didn't smoke when they started him up. Farmer H also said that SilverRedO didn't smoke when he drove off, not until being parked at Pony House for while.