Monday, March 7, 2022

Waste Not, Want Some

SilverRedO is having problems. He belches black smoke when started. Farmer H said what he thinks is going bad, but I know as much about engines as I know about geography. So let's just say that SilverRedO might need to have a Vanuatu replaced. 
It won't be cheap. 

Anyhoo... I picked up Farmer H at Mick the Mechanic's a few days ago. He decided not to wait for repairs. That meant he had to accompany me to Save A Lot. It would be so much simpler if I could strap Farmer H into the child seat of my cart/walker. He's not a good go-fer like the boys were when shopping with me. AND he finds more expensive treats for himself.

Farmer H DID find a bargain. Two porterhouse steaks for $12.98. They were HUGE! A better bargain than the three ribeyes I found at Country Mart. Farmer H grilled them on Sunday evening. He and The Pony feasted on steak, baked potato, garlic toast, and baked beans for Farmer H. I laid out a frozen hamburger to be grilled, and made a salad of romaine, Imo's cheese, boiled egg, and grape tomatoes. With Caesar dressing, since I got out the wrong bottle and didn't have my Ken's Blue Cheese.

Anyhoo... Farmer H is a good griller. The meats came out just right, although mine would have been better if it had been fresh meat, not thawed. I was still feasting when Farmer H and The Pony were throwing out their bones to the dogs.

"I had some meat left against the bone, and I can't cut it off. I'm too full to eat it, so the dogs can have it."

"Yeah, I had some left on mine too, Pony. I just gave it to Juno. So you can give yours to Jack."
 
"WAIT A MINUTE! Let me see! I'll eat that meat! I didn't have any steak!"
 
"Oh. Wow. To see you gnaw on that bone..."
 
"Thanks for not taking a picture! It's DELICIOUS!"
 
"We always ask if you want steak."
 
"You guys like it better. It comes in twos, mostly."
 
"We could buy another package."
 
"No. I'm satisfied with what I gnawed off the bone. Give it to Jack."
 
I can't believe Juno got a meaty bone before I had a chance to gnaw it!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't have lovely black fur that needs that meat to make her all glossy...

River said...

Are you sure they were Porterhouse and not T-bone? Here in Aus. porterhouse doesn't have a bone. not that it's important, what's important is you got to gnaw the bone but we DIDN'T get pictures!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Unknown,
I was just telling my Sweet, Sweet Juno TODAY how glossy and silky her black fur is! She's all done molting, and ready for a Glamour Shot! I, on the other hand, have brittle gray hair, missing a needed coloring since my Unfortunate HospitVALzation. No amount of bone-gnawing is going to remedy my situation.

***
River,
I'm sure. It was right there on the label. Here's a description that shows a Porterhouse, and farther down, a T-Bone picture.

https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut/2466/porterhouse-steak

I didn't think to take a picture of the bone before I gnawed it! I was lucky to wrest if from the wasteful (but well-manicured) hands of The Pony before it went out the door as a DOG TREAT!

River said...

I see the difference, what is pictured there as Strip Steak is what we get labelled as Porterhouse. I like them because there is no bone, so the weight on the package is all meat, no bone that gets paid for and thrown away.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
We couldn't believe the price. Even with the bone, there was more meat on these steaks than on the bargain ribeyes we got the other day, which cost more. All bones should be gnawed before throwing away!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The closest SaveAlot is an hour away. Now I want a steak and baked potato with all the fixings and a Ceasar salad. Instead of the leftover meatloaf slated for tonight. Made from ground turkey with stuffing mix, celery and onions and topped with turkey gravy. Only way I could convince HeWho to try it. I usually put taco seasoning or spaghetti sauce with it and he doesn't notice. I heard him tell someone he had NEVER eaten ground turkey and NEVER would. Por delusional man!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
My guys would not take the proffered salad. They wanted room for the steak! Maybe you could feed HeWho some other stuff with that seasoning, like sneaking ground broccoli into a kid's spaghetti sauce. I think I saw that on TV.