Thursday, March 3, 2022

Thank Heaven, For Little Grocery Checkers

When I was in Country Mart on Monday, I bought The Pony another bottle of wine. He still has the last one, unopened, which I purchased as an ALLEGED 65-year-old! With his wonky schedule, you never know when The Pony will have a day off, and he likes to have wine on the evening before his day off.

Anyhoo... I also bought the Monday deli special, which is dark meat chicken, 6 legs and 6 thighs for $7.99. I think it's a Not-Heaven of a deal. I froze part of it, because we won't eat it that fast. We'll see if it warms up okay. If not, the dogs will have a great treat. Sadly, The Pony turns up his muzzle at chicken with bones in it.

The deli lady whispered over the counter when I asked for the special: "Do you want it FRESH?"

"Oh! Yes, please. How long will that take?"

"About 17 minutes. I'll go put it in."

"Okay. I think I can shop for that long."

I picked up a couple boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. Some milk. Pretzel buns the size of Hawaiian Rolls. A can of PAM nonstick cooking spray. The Pony's wine and Mardi Gras cookie slice. Five bananas. Some deli tuna salad. It had been 17 minutes, but the chicken wasn't ready. So I just stood to wait.

The Deli Gal brought it out to my cart. Instead of being in the standard take-out box, it was in a big foil pan, with foil over the top.

"I put it in this pan, because we had some REALLY big chicken legs this week! You never know what we're going to get."

"Okay. Thanks!"

"Next time, if you want fresh chicken, you can call us before you leave home, and it should be ready when you get here."

"Thanks, that's good to know."

Those deli people are always looking out for me. As was the young checker I got this time. She was so polite. When I got out to T-Hoe, I looked at the receipt to make sure they charged me the $7.99 for the chicken special. They did. And then I saw it...

That young checker had put down my wine age as 21!

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I always wonder about those really big chicken pieces, were those chickens on steroids? Body builder chickens! Glad to see your age is more appropriate!

River said...

Ha Ha! 21 :) like you are a spring chicken.

I have to say 6 legs and 6 thighs wouldn't have lasted long at my place, no need for freezing when my boys are at the table. They would each eat two legs and thighs, plus vegetables, while daughter and I have one leg and thigh each, or if both daughters are home, they get one leg and thigh each so I would have had to buy more.

Sioux Roslawski said...

You definitely should not whine about that "guesstimate" of your age...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The giant chicken parts were delicious! It was just legs and thighs. Sometimes chicken breasts have that twisted-fiber texture, which I think is from steroiding those chickens and making then grow too fast.

My age is actually closer to the 65 than the 21, but no need to slap me in the face with that reality when I read the grocery receipt!

***
River,
You seem entirely too gleeful over that 21 proclamation!

Since The Pony won't eat chicken with bones in it, only Farmer H and I ate this dark meat feast. We could have finished it without freezing, but we were planning to be gone on Wednesday, and didn't want to waste a single chicken part!

***
Sioux,
I am definitely not whining!