Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Elusive Shasta

When I was recovering from my Unfortunate HospitVALzation, I lost my tast for Diet Coke. The fountain 44 oz and otherwise. I was mixing Farmer H's Wild Turkey with Shasta Diet Cola. I had bought a 12 pack of it just before I got sick, for that very purpose. When it all didn't fit into his red Solo cup, I took a sip out of the can. IT IS DELICIOUS!

I have been craving Shasta Diet Cola. The original 12 pack is long gone. I bought some Best Choice Diet Cola when I was in Country Mart on one of my first trips to town after the sickness. I figured it would be about the same. IT IS NOT! There are two cans left, from the 24 I bought. So I've been on a quest for Shasta Diet Cola. I want about half a can with supper.

Of course I could not remember where I got it. I mistakenly thought Country Mart. But all I saw there last week was Best Choice. I didn't get any. 

On Wednesday, I went to Save A Lot. Shasta was on my list. I went up the aisle and found it. Of course it was hard to get into my cart. It's in big square boxes of 12, instead of the long rectangular boxes of 12 like most sodas. AND it was on the top shelf. Two boxes to a cardboard flat. Hard to get loose, up over my head. I had to move one flat over to get a grip, so I could poke out the flat part that leaves you a little handle. But I did it! I got two boxes.

I carried one box in the Mansion. After putting away my groceries, I went to get a can to put in FRIG II to chill for supper.

IT WAS SHASTA ROOT BEER!

I bought the wrong kind! To be fair, all the boxes have the same design. White, with a slight color variation in the pattern. And Root Beer must look amazingly similar to Diet Cola! I guess when I moved that top shelf flat around, I got into the Root Beer that was next to the Diet Cola.

I told Farmer H. He was planning a trip to the Devil's Playground anyway. I called and said to look for the Shasta Diet Cola. 

"Okay. In case they don't, you say Country Mart has it?"

"No. Save A Lot has it."

"Okay. I'm writing it down."

I got a text later.

"Country Mart is faxing out Shasta and going to best choice thats why you didn't find it or thats what the girl stocking shelves told me"

"I told you it's at SAVE A LOT! You never listen. You even said you wrote it down."

"I wrote down SHASTA."

Anyhoo... Farmer H was no more successful than I in procuring my new cheap elixir. So it's kind of hard to complain. But you know I will...

8 comments:

Rae said...

Just for the heck of it, I googled Shasta Diet Cola - holy guacamole....the word must be out that it's going to be fazed out. Amazon had a 12 pack for 25.99, Walmart had same for 29.99, and Ebay had it for 56.oo plus. Maybe you can sell the Root Beer online and make a few bucks. I was shocked to see these prices but it's not the first time that I've found items that aren't easily available, for sale at such ridiculous price gouging amounts. There are apparently people out there where money is no object. Ranee (MN)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
WOW! That's ridiculous! It's $3-something at Save A Lot for a 12 pack. I know I saw it there. I just grabbed the wrong one.

Farmer H is going by today after he finishes caulking the shower at Pony House. There's something about the Shasta Diet Cola that is tasty to me. I don't know anything about flavors, but it's like there's ginger, or something extra I don't get from Diet Coke.

Farmer H and The Pony both like Root Beer, so it won't go to waste. Even though Farmer H isn't supposed to have sugar soda. He'll probably use it to wash down some Casey's donuts, heh, heh.

I saw on the innernets that Gatorade was in short supply. It's always on the shelves here. I fell in love with the Lemon Lime version while recovering from my Unfortunate HospitVALzation. Just a few sips randomly through the day. It lasts me a long time. It must contain something my body needed, because I never liked Gatorade before. Maybe I could sell it for a fortune online!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I used to live on Shasta Cream Soda. Loved it. Haven't seen Shasta in a long time, now I will be looking for it, you know, just because.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Try Save A Lot! They had a lot of Shasta varieties! But don't tell me if you accidentally think you're buying Cream Soda, and get home with Diet Cola!

River said...

I love lemon/lime Gatorade and apparently everyone else does too, because that section of the shelf is always empty all summer. It's a good thing I don't buy it for daily use, but get a couple of bottles if I've been ill, which is almost never. you may have to go back to your old-style 44oz diet cola once the Shasta is no longer available.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Hopefully, Shasta will stay available. Save A Lot is not the store who told Farmer H they were phasing it out. This quest continues... At least I am able to find the lemon/lime Gatorade!

Sioux Roslawski said...

I think they're going to make a remake of "Man of LaManchca." However, the quest that the musical focuses on will be for your elixirs.

If you're really bored, you could take one of those iconic songs and create new lyrics. (After all, what else do you have to do with your day? ;)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I am not familiar enough with those iconic songs to create new lyrics. The Man of La Mancha is no Steve Miller!