Saturday, April 8, 2023

A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Chase

I'm not sure what Farmer H has done with his mind. Perhaps he left it at his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2). It most definitely is not in his noggin. It is difficult to follow his train of thought.

Friday afternoon, he came home early because his legs hurt from sitting on his stool at the SUS2, his doctor was closed because of the Good Friday holiday, and his cronies were not meeting for their weekly bull session. I was just putting away the 30 eggs I had boiled to get ready for Easter dinner preparations. Farmer H sat down in his recliner. I stopped to talk to him on my way to the shower.

"I'm tempted to go ahead and boil the potatoes for the potato salad. So they can be cold and ready to peel tomorrow before I go to town. But I'm worried about having enough room in FRIG II to keep all the Easter stuff."

"It's not hot outside."

"What's your point?"

"You don't have to keep them in the fridge. They can set outside."

"It's 62 degrees! And why would I want our food sitting outside in the open?"

"You could put them in the garage."

"What? There are bugs. And maybe mice!"

"You could put them in the back of your car."

"Um. No. I'm not going to set my boiled potatoes outside for bugs to crawl over, at 62 degrees."

Not a very logical conversation. Even for Farmer H. But we obviously had a conversation about me wanting to put a bowl of boiled potatoes in FRIG II.

When I came home from town, I discovered that Farmer H had put six Diet Mountain Dews, and six bottles of Perrier, on the top shelf of FRIG II. Taking up HALF the space on the top shelf.

I suppose I could go ahead and make Farmer H a special batch of potato salad, and set it outside until Sunday afternoon...

4 comments:

River said...

I'm reminded of a joke about the "McDonald's Special sauce" for their burgers. one worker says 'we're running out of special sauce', the other worker says "take this big jar of mayonnaise and put it out in the sun".

Even for Farmer H, that conversation seems a bit off.
Why not peel the potatoes before cooking? I peel mine and cut them up into cubes before I cook them, it's faster, well the cooking time is faster and there's no need to juggle hot potatoes trying to cut them up like some people do. At least you let yours get cold.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Another reason that I don't eat at McDonald's!

The potatoes are way easier to peel after they're boiled. Just scrape with the back edge of a knife, and whole sections slide off. Also, I don't want them soaking up a lot of water, so I leave them whole. Don't need soggy potato salad!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

In the car? The inside of the car gets pretty warm, even in the shade and why on earth would you take the chance of feeding your family tainted food! Sounds just like the reasoning of HeWho! He actually asked me if I had met one of his cousins ..... she LIVED with us for awhile! Did they suck part of his brain out while he was in the hospital??

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yet they say WE are forgetful! At least that's a tactic of Farmer H: "You don't remember NOTHIN'!" Just yesterday I saved him from paying us $48 again, for stuff he ordered for his class reunion. Yet he argued that he had instead paid us for his $35 electric bill at his Storage Unit Store 2. No. I saved him money because I always note in the checkbook what personal items he has repaid us for.