Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Listen To Your Elders

There are signs of unrest at Country Mart. I overheard a discussion between cashiers while poking the lottery machine to get my scratchers. There were no customers around. Except me. I guess they think of me as one of them, since I bring in a cart every day.

Anyhoo... it seems that three new employees have been hired. I haven't really shopped since the Thursday before Easter, except to pick up bananas. So I haven't noticed any new faces. The Elderlies referred to them as "the new girls." So I assume they are young. 

One of the Elderlies was headed outside for her smoke break. They like to stand by the new plant display out front, which is built on bread racks and has ferns and such. I don't know much about plants. But the little plastic swimming pools next to them catch my eye. I was a bit annoyed when the display was being built, because the gal working on it was blocking three parking spaces with her stuff, and had the hose stretched across the sidewalk, with puddles all over. I had to walk out in the driving lane to get to the front door. She was not a new employee, but one I don't see there often.

Anyhoo... my favorite Elderly was saying, "Them new girls don't listen to a thing you say! I had to tell them not to destroy the plants when they water them. They don't pay any attention!"

I can imagine that scenario. I don't know if some plants were messed up, since I don't pay attention to the plants. But it's feasible that the new girls think they know everything, and see nothing wrong with getting the watering done as fast as possible, to gain more time on their cell phones.

That seems to be how the world works these days.

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Those young ones think they know it all! I have noticed that thy eithr over water or under water. Personally I think you should have some kind of qualifications to care for plants if you want to keep them healthy enough to sell. It does suit my purposes that Walmart has no such employees and I can take full advantage of the clearance sale!

River said...

This is why places like that should not be selling plants. Leave it to the nurseries. They know what they are doing.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I agree! And I'm pretty sure they know less about plants than I know about geography! At least you benefit from the ignorance of the Walmart garden center.

***
River,
I guess people who buy grocery store plants should realize that they do not receive tender loving care while sitting in front of the store.