Sunday, April 30, 2023

Mrs. HM Is Salty Tonight

Farmer H had plans for Saturday night. He told me on Friday night, just before he went to bed around 9:00, when I asked what he wanted for supper on Saturday. The auction was not open.

"Oh. I forgot. I'm going to a play at the junior college. The Veteran asked me. His girls are in it. You can come with me."

"No. I remember how long you were gone last year. What time is it, 7:00? You didn't get home until after 10:00."

"Yeah. The doors open at 6:00. I should probably leave at 5:00. They was already a bunch of people there last year when I got there. I'll pick up something in town to eat when I come home from my store."

Of course he didn't. He said he was going to get something to eat on the way. Since last year, he almost starved, he wasn't going to wait until after. 

Anyhoo... since I didn't have to cook anything, I decided to get something from the Country Mart deli when I picked up our bananas. 

Well. Have I mentioned the quality of the food has gone downhill? Downhill faster than an Olympic skier trying to earn a gold medal in the ski jump.

I figured I'd get a 2-piece dark meat dinner. Good thing, since there were three dried-out pieces of fish skin, two crusty chicken tenders, and the bin of fried chicken, which was fairly full. The lady who plays the lottery and tells me about her wins was working.

"I'll have the two-piece dark meat dinner."

"Oh! THIS doesn't look very good!"

She started stirring a bin of some kind of pale noodle, that was all dried-out on top.

"What IS that? Some kind of white sauce noodle?"

"Yes. What sides would you like?"

"Hmm. You're all out of green beans. So I guess I'll take the potato wedges. For both sides."

"Yeah. There's not a lot of choices."

"That's right. I don't want those noodles. I'm not a fan of the corn, or the macaroni and cheese. I don't want mashed potatoes. So that leaves the potato wedges."

That gal was really nice. She even asked if I wanted two thighs instead of the standard thigh and leg, and didn't charge me extra. AND she remembered to offer me the roll. So I felt like I was getting my money's worth this time.

Well. Their chicken is usually tasty enough. But this time, I could barely eat it. Oh, I DID eat it, heh, heh. But it was kind of a chore.

That chicken tasted like it had been marinated for three days on the bottom of the Great Salt Lake. Then rolled in a batter consisting primarily of Pink Himalayan Salt. Then perched upon a pedestal of livestock salt blocks to cure. Then deep-fried, and dusted with an entire canister of Morton Salt. When it rains, it pours, you know.

I have a feeling I will be a heavy drinker tonight...

4 comments:

River said...

You need to mention that next time you are there. If it is delivered to them already cooked and ready to sell, they need to let the delivery people know to tell the "cooks" Which will probably never happen. Drink LOTS of water!
Maybe try buying frozen foods instead and heat them up at home?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
If it's the Lottery Lady, I WILL mention it. I don't know what shift she works. She's always there around 3:00 or 4:00, so I assume she comes in during the afternoon and works until close. It's possible that somebody else had already made the batter by the time she came in. I'm pretty sure the counter workers also fry the chicken. It's usually really tasty, which is why I prefer it over the packaged frozen chicken.

I did drink lots of water. It was so refreshing, my clear tasteless well water, chilled in my metal water bottle with ice from FRIG II's freezer. That's what The Pony misses most about living here with us: the water.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I couldn't have eaten it! Since we use very little salt since the great heart event of HeWho, things that are normal tasting to others are too salty for us. HeWho made the mistake of grabbing a bag of fritos as a snack while driving and that night he ankles told the story!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You would have probably gone into shock if you ate this salt stuffed with chicken! I am a bit skeptical as to whether HeWho grabbed those Fritos "by mistake!"