Thursday, April 20, 2023

Patient Zero Fingers The Culprit

Just when I was positive that Farmer H was the source of my itchy finger-bump... some new information came to light. I hate it when that happens. When Farmer H has a chance to skate scott-free!

Sure, it was a bit of a stretch that Farmer H was still responsible for spreading the liquidy clear stuff from the bump on the side of his hand that he squooshed a week or two prior to my outbreak. Especially after I found those bumps on my stomach. I rarely use my stomach to change channels with the remote, or turn the water faucet on or off. So that kind of eliminated Farmer H.

Late Monday night/early Tuesday morning, I was ensconced on the short couch, happily watching TV, hands in the pockets of my fleece jacket, with The Pony's fleece throw covering me up to my neck as usual. So toasty and warm. But I had to uncover for a trip to the bathroom.

When I returned to the living room, I saw a fluff of sock lint on the back of the couch. It was directly behind the area where my head leans back. You may recall a previous encounter with my socks on the back of the couch. They were a bit... shall we say... aromatic. I went to pick up the sock lint, and saw that IT WAS NOT SOCK LINT AT ALL!

IT WAS A SPIDER!

A small spider, about the size of a pea. It didn't have the four-legs-front, four-legs-back configuration of some spiders. It had all eight legs spread out around its body. Like a tiny dry jellyfish. I grabbed a Puffs With Lotion from the pillow where I keep a small stack, and pinched that spider. I took it to the kitchen, to look at under the light of the counter, and confirmed that it was, indeed, a spider, and not sock lint.

WELP! Looks like that spider is was probably the source of my itchy bumps filled with clear fluid. Perhaps it was on the fleece throw, and then crawled into my jacket pocket while I was covered up with my hands on the outside, playing Wordle. And then it got back on the fleece throw, and attacked me again on subsequent nights. Then emerged to crawl from the throw to the couch-back while I was in the bathroom.

I have not found any new bumps since the squooshing of the spider.

I hope the mystery stays solved.

6 comments:

Rae said...

I've had occasion where I would end up with a bump like that with clear fluid and it would itch. Maybe a couple near to each other but not in various parts of my body. Usually my hand or forearm. I just assumed it was a spider, but then, who knows? Ranee

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
A spider is my best guess, since I DID actually find a spider in the area where my first two bumps manifested. The first one on my ring finger is almost gone. Like the fluid is being absorbed. The bumps on my stomach are itching like crazy. I guess it will take them a couple days to settle down.

River said...

Aha! Spider bite. Definitely could be that. I can't stand intense itching, I scratch like crazy then dab with undiluted disinfectant. Stops the itch and heals the spot. you must be tougher than me to put up with it for more than five minutes.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Itching is usually a sign of healing. Sounds like the mystery is solved.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The worst itch is from whatever insecty critters live in our front yard/field. When I stopped to shut the lid on the trash dumpster that Farmer H had put a bag of trash in, three of them bit my ankle. I guess they got on my sock as I walked across the recently-cut grass. They were around the ankle like a bracelet, just above my shoe-top!

Hand sanitizer will take away the itch for a while. I didn't put it on my hand or stomach. I didn't think about it! Even though I had a little bottle right there beside me on the TV table. I just scratched. I need to put it on my ankle later. Scratching those bites will rub them raw.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I hope that's the end of it. No more since I "disappeared" that tiny spider. My finger bumps are barely there today, and don't itch. The stomach still needs scratching.