Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The Eye To Stomach Ratio

The Pony piled on more than he could chew at Easter dinner. He set his plate on the kitchen counter, and asked if I wanted to save a smidge of his ham sandwich for Jack. Yes. It's in the treat bowl, still waiting for Jack. 

When I came home Monday afternoon, Farmer H stopped me to talk while he was on the lawnmower in the front yard/field. The main point of the conversation being that he had just broken the belt on the mower. Scarcely three hours after he'd bought a battery for it.

Jack was down by the carport then, chewing on something. As I got closer, he trotted under SilverRedO with it. Looked like a round bone. Perhaps from somebody's ham. Not ours! It was boneless.

Anyhoo... Jack did NOT come to greet me, and did NOT come up on the porch to get his treat. Too bad, so sad. Enjoy that dry bone, rather than a juicy ham sandwich portion.

Monday night, I gathered myself some leftovers and sat down at the kitchen table with HIPPIE. My best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel began texting. So I was a bit distracted. And then all at once, I was FULL! I could not finish my food. That is unheard-of for Mrs. HM. Whose eyes are usually smaller than her stomach.

Jack will be getting some 7 layer salad. I think he will only pick the bacon out of it. And maybe the cheese. Possibly the eggs. He will like the cheesy hash brown casserole better. And most certainly the half slice of ham.

IF Jack can tear himself away from that dry bone.

4 comments:

River said...

Jack knows what's good for him. He'll crunch that bone and get the marrow. Cut your losses with the rest and toss the lot in the bin. Maybe make less next Easter? The same things, but in smaller amounts.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Jack had trouble getting his dachshund size jaws around that bone. Not sure how much power he has to crunch into it.

The food was the right amount to have for leftovers for three days, if that's what we ate. Farmer H always says he loves the food, but then only wants to eat it for one day! That's hardly worth the trouble. I don't mind eating leftovers. It's food that we don't have except on special occasions. I spent too much time texting Mabel, and got full before I had time to finish eating.

Tonight, Farmer H declared he was "full" from a lunch he had while in town, and didn't want any leftovers. So here we go again. He has selective "fullness," depending on what's for supper. I'd give up cooking holiday meals, but that feels like I'm cheating The Pony.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I was feeling pretty awful on Easter day and I made a pot of potato soup with some ham I found in the freezer. Very simple, chopped potatoes, chopped up ham, chicken broth and a half stalk of celery chopped. I ate my portion and was back down with a pillow on the couch for the remainder of the day. HeWho kept looking at me curiously all day and around 5:30 asked when I was going to cook our Easter dinner. It struck me funny and I was laughing hysterically for quite some time before he finally figured it out. So simple minded. He heated the rest up and managed to spill it as he sat down to eat and then proclaimed the bowl to be broken. I saw it slosh over the side of the bowl and knew what he was thinking as he headed back to the kitchen, but I could not get the words out because I was laughing again and couldn't stop, which just made him annoyed and that made it even funnier. It was a jolly old day!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I guess HeWho thought you could whip up an Easter dinner in 20 minutes. They are so clueless. And helpless. And demanding.