Sunday, April 9, 2023

No Rhyme. No Reason. Unless He's Possibly Trying To Kill Me.

Farmer H has developed a rather annoying habit of late. There's no reason for it. He can pick up things off the floor with his grabber. He can squat if he needs to bend part-way. So I can only imagine that he's trying to drive me crazy(er), or raise my blood pressure until I put myself out of his misery.

Because of his back surgery, I have been bagging the trash. When it's full, I tie up the bag, take it out of the wastebasket, and put in a new one. We use the large black plastic trash bags. They can get pretty full. I tell Farmer H not to lift them, especially when there are jars and heavy stuff inside, and it's probably over 10 pounds.

That said, there are no limits on Farmer H FILLING the trash bag. He's capable of throwing away garbage. Yet he suddenly does not!

The first item was an empty box that had held 6 Little Debbie Zebra Cakes. The new kind, shaped like a jelly-roll, or like the other delicious Little Debbie, the Swiss Rolls. There was room in the wastebasket for the box. Yet Farmer H set it on the floor, BESIDE the wastebasket. What in the Not-Heaven? It would have taken more effort to squat and place it there. Unless he merely dropped it, in which case I think it would have fallen over, rather than standing up leaning against the wastebasket.

Friday night, Farmer H did it again. He put the paper sack that had held our take-out Chinese food next to the wastebasket. There was room, because I had picked up the Little Debbie box and put it in the trash. But now here was a large paper sack. Empty. BESIDE the wastebasket. It could have been crumpled and put inside. But no. That was apparently my job.

I have no idea the reasoning behind Farmer H's trash habits. I hope they don't continue. I guess I could ask why, and risk a tirade for my inquisition, with accusations that I expect things to be done MY WAY. Which I think is a pretty reasonable way to dispose of trash...

4 comments:

River said...

You put jars in the trash? Not in the recycle bins?
You need to have that awkward conversation before things start getting placed just anywhere not even close to the bin.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
We don't have recycle bins in the middle of nowhere. Some of the towns also did away with them, due to the cost.

Now that Farmer H is more mobile, I have stopped picking up his collection of empty soda bottles on the table by his recliner. So he has to bring them to the kitchen himself. So far they've made it into the wastebasket.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

HeWho has also deveoped strange habits since his last hospital stay! He seems to be unable (more like unwilling) to o anything to help out. He used to be in charge of the garbage removal and now I wold appear to be in harge of every household chore there is. Two can play that game!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't mind doing things that require heavy lifting and bending down to the floor. But putting trash in the wastebasket requires less bending than putting it BESIDE the wastebasket.