Saturday, May 20, 2023

He Must Be A Breast Man, Not A Leg Man

I didn't have to make Farmer H's supper on Friday, because he sent a text that there was a special something honoring the Senior Center volunteers at 5:00. So he would be eating there. I guess it's as good a story as any for not getting home until 6:30... He said he had the best honey bbq chicken sandwich he's ever eaten, from a food truck. To be fair, I don't think Farmer H has ever had a honey bbq chicken sandwich anywhere. Nor eaten a sandwich from a food truck. Anyhoo... I didn't have to cook.

Getting out of T-Hoe at Country Mart, the deli lady came by on her break, and asked about my lottery luck. Very good, thanks. I've had 3 winners of $100 this week! I asked her if she had any good food in the deli. She gave me that look. Like, "You know better than that!" Not that she was disparaging her own livelihood. It's just that the food there isn't what it used to be.

"You used to have good stuff. But now it's all the same. Fried chicken or fish."

"We have pulled pork."

"I've seen that a couple times. But I'm afraid it comes from those tubs you sell, and it's too spicy."

"No. This comes in a big bag. It's not spicy."

"Okay. Maybe I'll try it sometime."

I went in to look in the deli case. The young guy working had just gone into the kitchen. I browsed a minute, not wanting to ring the bell. They had kraut with hot dogs sliced in it. That's something I've never seen there. And the pulled pork. Plus fried chicken, chicken tenders, and fish. Plus the sides. I was not feeling adventurous.

I dinged the bell. Twice. And the guy came out. He's a different one than my favorite, who must not work there any more. 

"I hate to do that. I know you must be busy if you're not out here."

"No. It's okay. That's my job!"

"I'll have a two-piece dark meal, with green beans and macaroni and cheese."

He dished it up and put the price on. Taped a roll in a baggie to the container. When I got home, I saw that I had a leg and a giant breast! That is NOT dark meat! I wanted a thigh! Thighs are my favorite piece of chicken. Never mind that this breast was twice as big as a thigh. It's white meat.

I guess this deli guy doesn't know the leg bone's connected to the thigh bone...

4 comments:

River said...

You are going to have to teach him by asking specifically for a leg and a thigh when asking for dark meat.
The honey bbq chicken sandwich sounds tasty.
I have pulled beef in my freezer in sandwich sized portions from a beef potroast I cooked last week.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Or I'll have to watch what he grabs with the tongs. Some people can't tell the difference between a thigh and a breast, when they are coated in that crunchy batter. At least Farmer H claims that sometimes, when he takes a thigh I meant to save for myself. I kind of believe him, because he prefers white meat.

Farmer H said that if he sees that food truck somewhere, he will stop and buy us both a honey bbq chicken sandwich. He said it comes on a regular bun, but I didn't ask if it has some special sauce or anything added to it.

Your beef sounds good. I haven't made pot roast in a while. My mom used to put the leftovers through a grinder, then add mayo and diced pickles. It was delicious as a sandwich.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I prefer dark meat, too and tend to buy thighs more often that breasts. I put ham in the food processor and add mayo and pickles, never tried beef, but it sounds good!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I used to mix diced ham with shredded cheddar and diced dill pickle, moistened with mayo. It was a nice ham salad that I ate without bread. Mmm.