Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Progress, Humbug!

Mrs. HM does not like new things. She gets used to something, and is comfortable with it lasting for eternity. Why did videotapes give way to DVDs, and then DVDs change to the Blu-Ray version, and then movies disappear into thin air to be conjured up on demand? Like 5.25 floppy disks giving way to 3.5 floppy disks, and then CDs, and then flash drives, and now some mysterious cloud! Some might call Mrs. HM a stick-in-the-mud, but she is more like a Giant Sequoia mired in a peat bog.

Last week, I read that the stoplight near The Devil's Playground is going to be converted to a ROUNDABOUT!!! Please say it isn't so! We already have two roundabouts. They are not in a busy area. THIS intersection has lots of traffic that comes off the interstate in the afternoon. And school bus traffic. It's a 2-minute light. I don't mind the wait so much. It's organized.

The local online newspaper said the roundabout will make this intersection SAFER! It's been there all my life, and I've never seen an accident. So that's a dirty dirty lie! I am really not looking forward to the shut-down of this intersection during construction. It will force way more traffic onto my other road to Sis-Town. The Universe gets me coming and going.

ALSO, when I was in Country Mart on Friday, I saw a sign on their deli counter that said BIG CHANGES COMING JUNE 2. I asked the workers what it meant, and they said they didn't know. Only that the deli would be closing on June 2, for remodeling. They didn't know what was going to be put in, only that the entire kitchen and bakery were being torn out. They didn't even know if they would still have a job!

The world is moving on, and leaving Mrs. HM behind!

8 comments:

Rae said...

I can relate. We had a diner in town that I worked at when I was in high school (which, trust me, was a long time ago)and was there long before that. It was a family business the entire time and they finally ran out of interested family and it was sold. It has been promised to be a Mexican restaurant since last summer. We are still waiting. After no obvious activity for almost a year, they put up a sign that says TACOS, but still not open. We miss the diner. We live in a small community of approx 5000 people and we have at least 7 places where you can get pizza. One other Mexican restaurant. A restaurant, off the highway, that is open only certain hours of the day and a family restaurant in town. A coffee corner, Caribo, McDonalds, DQ etc but not many breakfast options. We need a diner. I wouldn't be surprised if this place ever does open that they won't have Mexican pizza as an option. Good luck with the changes. Ranee (MN)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I feel that way more often that I want to admit! Some things still remain the same. I got a frantic call early this morning from my new step-granddaughter. Her Rottwieler (the one that it me) is sick and she said she knew I would know what she should do. Her ex-husband had bought the dog for her daughter, Alondra (who has captured my heart). Just to say when the young ones are stumped for advice they will still ask for help. Zeus (dog) is feeling better late this afternoon. His previous vet refuses to treat him because he is aggressive. I told her to get online and look for a vet that can deal with large and aggressive dogs. I am sure she can find one in the Twin Cities area. It felt good to be needed!

River said...

I am not a fan of changes either, but I didn't mind the change from VHS tapes to DVDs at all, the DVDs take up far less space and you don't have to buy the Blu-Ray ones if you don't have a Blu-Ray player. Since I don't drive, road remodelling doesn't affect me much, we currently have intersections all along my nearest main road being widened and causing all kinds of traffic disruptions, mostly it means those wanting to avoid the waiting now run down the side streets and join the main road further down so I now have traffic noises all day. It would be hard to see my favourite deli counter getting ripped out and replaced, but it's something we just have to put up with.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
That's about the size of Hillmomba. We might be a little smaller. No Mexican here. Just the fast food and a bar that serves food and a pizza place uptown. I'll miss the deli. Hope they're just updating it, but I still haven't heard.

***
Kathy,
I would not wish any dog to be sick. That said, I'm not a fan of Rotts, especially after the terrorism from the neighbor's rescue Rott. Hope he feels better, which might make him less bitey.

***
River,
I got mad when most of the newer DVDs were Blu-Ray. Didn't work in my player when I got them as gifts.

River said...

I'm careful to buy only regular dvds, they will play in a blu-ray player while the blu-ray ones won't play in a regular player. Most of the people I know only have a regular player.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I knew how to work my DVD player, all hooked up with three other electronical thingies, at the Big Screen TV down in the basement. Genius had moved away, and The Pony had just left for college. So I was on my own. Wondering why I couldn't play my gift DVDs there, or on my computer. Then I noticed that they were Blu-Ray.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I once tried to play a CD in a DVD player. I could not figure out what was wrong and kept trying until I mentioned it to a grandchild and he very patiently explained it to me and didn't make fun of me and didn't even tell anyone. He is my favorite!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
No wonder he's your favorite! The Pony would show me, without ridicule, but with a heavy sigh. Genius would act exactly like "Your Company Computer Guy" on SNL. Complete with the "MOVE!" and the condescending attitude.