Friday, May 5, 2023

Roads Are Designed For Automobiles

The road where I almost met my doom by flying trampoline must be a bloodthirsty thoroughfare! There I was on Thursday, RIGHT WHERE the trampoline launched itself at me, when I spied a hazard. It was an old man on a bicycle. Not the kind of old-timey bike like that hateful dog-stealing lady rode in The Wizard of Oz, but a sleek 10-speed style bicycle. Old Man was not wearing a helmet.

Also, Old Man was not riding safely. There is actually a paved shoulder on that road, about 4-5 feet wide. It's where my deadly trampoline landed, after all, without impeding traffic. So there was plenty of room for Old Man and his bicycle. Yet he was hugging the sideline of that road. Good thing there were no wake-up bumps, or he might have jarred his false teeth loose. I could see that his tires were off the roadway, but his elbow was sticking over the line.

No way was I going to take a chance on hitting him! So I slowed T-Hoe down to Old Man speed, waiting for oncoming traffic to go by so I could swerve into their lane and pass him.

Here's the thing. Years ago, on New Year's Eve, a local state congressman was driving home from a night of celebration. Not on this specific road, but on the road that goes by the local high school. He hit a roadwalker with his passenger side mirror. You know how mirrors on a truck stick out. The man was knocked into a ditch, unconscious, and spent many weeks in the hospital. I think he eventually recovered.

Anyhoo... the congressman pulled over onto the parking lot of the high school. Threw away some beer cans from the truck. And switched places with his wife, so she was the driver. Then he went on his way, forgetting they had parked right in front of the school's surveillance camera. He did NOT turn around and go back to check on the Old Man. Obviously, they knew they hit somebody, or they wouldn't have switched drivers or gotten rid of beer cans. Not even sure they were fresh beer cans, since they had been celebrating at a local bar. I know there was a big stink, and the guy went to trial, but the results escape me at this time.

So... I was extra careful to NOT hit Old Man with T-Hoe's mirror.

Not blaming the victim, who should not have been walking on a dark road after midnight on New Year's Eve. Even though he was wrong, he did not deserve to be left in a ditch. I AM blaming future victim Old Man Cycler, because he should know better than to hug the road like that with his bicycle when there is room to ride on his private shoulder.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I remember the incident with the congressman. I have encountered bikers before and am always very careful, not wanting to hit them. One particular time in Minnesota I was waiting for them to cross a side street, sitting absolutely still and one of the group was screaming at me that he had the right of way. He was so upset, spitting as he began to quote laws wih his face beet red. I was afraid he would have a heart attack and I wasn't doing anything wrong for his tirade!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Some people leave home looking for a fight! Confronting people was probably the main reason that guy took up bike-riding.

The congressman was not the sharpest tool in the shed. His story changed several times, and he also had other people who lied for him about the timing, and his whereabouts. The school security video, and damage to his mirror, were his downfall.

River said...

Perhaps the bit nearest the road was the smoothest? Or he needed the road edge to keep straight?
Anyway, I hope the earlier congressman had a few months n jail.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Nope. The whole shoulder area there is as smooth as the road. If he needs a painted line to keep him straight, he has no business riding a bicycle! I think that congressman got more than a few months. Someday I might look it up.