Monday, January 22, 2024

A Hearty Meal For The Frigid Temps

Mrs. HM is full of beans! Well, about to be, anyway. I'm waiting until my blogging duties are done before partaking of the most delicious-smelling meal that I spent three hours preparing this morning. I had to thaw out the Christmas ham bone, and the ham I had cut up into cubes before freezing. I'd soaked the Great Northern Beans overnight. All that was left was to put the bone and ham into the pot, after rinsing the beans. Add some minced garlic, ground black pepper, and a few Mild Banana Pepper Rings, and their juice. Then let them simmer for 2 or more hours.

The Mansion smelled terrific! Even Farmer H said so as soon as I got back from town. I whipped up some corn muffins courtesy of Jiffy. Fed Farmer H so he could watch football playoff games. And bided my time until my never-ending free work was done.

Here's a picture of the beans:


I moved some into a saucepan, so I don't have to lift the big pot out of FRIG II every time we need to warm them. Farmer H has already taken out his serving. Yes, he DID use the ladle and tip it sideways to let out the JUICE! That's okay. I like the juice with my corn muffins.


The corn muffins turned out great. I let them cool a few minutes, then tipped them out of their muffin tray. Farmer H has already helped himself to the corn muffins.

I might or might not be drooling just a little as I look at these pictures, with the aroma of beans, ham, and cornbread hanging in the air. 

Gotta go slice up some banana pepper rings and onion to add to my beans! 

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

That looks so good! I made use of the bone from a pork loin that HeWho had smoked in the new smoker I gave him for Christmas. We had beans and Toaster oven cornbread. The leftovers will be served tonight, as I still don't have the new stove hooked up!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Mmm! These beans are SO GOOD. Not good for your HeWho, though, because that ham was quite salty. Too bad about your stove. One of these days, you will be able to rejoin the land of the cooking!

River said...

Those beans do look delicious. I might even try making my own this coming winter, in the slow cooker. I won't have a ham bone though, just the ham.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Ham will work. I don't always have a bone.

My beans turn out better when I do the overnight soak, rather than the boil for five minutes and soak for two hours. Not sure how that works in a slow cooker. I only used mine for stew and barbecue.

River said...

I can soak them overnight then rinse and put them in the slow cooker.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
They should turn out great.