Wednesday, January 3, 2024

The Nurturing Is Weak In This One

I'm not saying that Farmer H treated me poorly during my recent unfortunate incapacitation. He merely continued his regular Farmer H ways.

Oh, he DID dump the Christmas leftovers off the back porch for me on Saturday and Sunday, so I could wash three-and-a-half sinks full of dishes. He brought me a lot of Gatorade after I asked for one bottle. He went to the basement to get my sinus vibrator when I asked. And on Tuesday, he volunteered to carry in groceries when I got back from town. But those are the kind of things he has done before, when I am hale and hearty.

Farmer H was also selfless enough to declare that he would eat supper "Whenever you are ready to make it." Wasn't that sweet of him?

I suppose I was delusional with fever when I thought Farmer H might actually ask if he could do anything for me. Like after I'd mentioned several times over three nights that I guessed I'd just be having soup for supper... he might have asked if he could warm it for me. Sweet Gummi Mary! It was in a flip-top can! Not even a need to use a can opener! Just pour it in a pan, turn on an electric burner, and stir it a couple times. I would have poured it in a cup for myself.

Or maybe he might have asked if I'd like him to fill my water bottle, or add ice to it. Or if he could bring me more Puffs With Lotion from the kitchen counter to the short couch.

Tuesday night, I made him the most giant chicken tender out of the bag I had just bought. It's something he could have put in the oven for himself. And I warmed the leftover rice and cheese and broccoli that I'd made the night before, even though Farmer H seems to know how to use a microwave. And peeled two boiled eggs for him to have with that dinner. 

But get THIS! When Farmer H brought his rice/cheese/broccoli bowl back to the kitchen, after clanging his serving spoon against it until I thought a cattle drive might stampede into our front yard/field, the cowboys thinking they heard the Cookie bang the dinner triangle... he had the nerve to say,

"I'll let you give this piece of chicken to your dogs for a treat." AS HE TOSSED IT INTO THE DOG PAN I KEEP ON THE END OF THE COUNTER!

Seriously. That was a perfectly good piece of chicken tender! It was about two inches square. I would have eaten that! But it was already in the dog pan! 

How can Farmer H be more concerned about the dogs than he is about me???

6 comments:

River said...

I could suggest you treat him the same way when he is sick, but he probably wouldn't even notice.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think he'd notice, since every little under-the-weatherness makes him declare that he is dying. He might not notice if he was busy dosing himself with a serving spoon of cough medicine, waking by an alarm to take it every 4 hours.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Same here. My BP bottomed out yesterday and I almost fainted in the kitchen. I had made chili in the slow cooker and he did say that he could do without cornbread since I wasn't feeling so good. He could have put leftovers away and washed dishes, but he left it all and said it would keep until morning when I would feel better. What is wrong with these men?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
How thoughtful and selfless of HeWho to volunteer to go without cornbread! He's a prince among men!

Be careful of that blood pressure issue. My dad had dizziness and felt like fainting. Almost keeled over when we were digging for red wigglers to go fishing. Found out he was bleeding in his colon. Not trying to tell a horror story, but get that BP checked out.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have lost nearly 50 pounds in the last two years. I have already cut my lisinopril in half and my BP is consistantly low. I hope I lose another 20 lbs and will probably have no need for the lisinopril at all then. I am now going to take it every other day while monitoring my blood pressure. I will confess my experiment to my NP when I see her at my 6 month check. So far she has agreed with my other diagnosis. We use all that extra time to talk about HeWho and all his faults!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Wow! So happy for your loss! (not a phrase I get to use very often)

That is a good use of your appointment time! Probably better than actual medicine.