Sunday, January 7, 2024

I Feel So NORMish

Now that I'm back on my feet, going to town every day, it seems that I've been missed!

My favorite clerk at the Gas Station Chicken Store asked me, "WHERE have you been???" We chatted before other customers had the nerve to enter the store. She had me laughing, which started a mini coughing fit. Of course I turned my head and put my mouth in my elbow, even though she was protected by a stand-up plexiglass barrier. 

At the 10Box on Saturday, I felt like NORM from Cheers. Except nobody knew my name. They hollered when I entered, though!

"HEY, LADY!"

That was a checker who used to work in the deli. The one who always shares scratcher info with me. She wanted to know if I'd won anything good lately. Nope. But little did I know, I had a big winner sitting out in T-Hoe at that very moment. She said she'd won $100 on a $20 ticket. 

I went on with my shopping, and came across another checker on the baking aisle. She had a large cart with boxes from stuff she'd just put on the shelves.

"Are they punishing you? Have you been naughty?"

"No. We're just SO BUSY here at the first of the year. And tomorrow is truck day. We're out of almost everything. See there? How there's no product behind the front row? AND we have inventory coming up. So we'll be really busy."

She also calls me "Hey, Lady." It's not so bad. I've been called worse!

When I was walking toward the checkout, another worker-gal caught my eye. She usually works the service desk, but was just walking around.

"Are you ready to check out? I can get you over at the desk."

"Oh, no. I'm ready, but I don't mind to wait. But thank you! Everyone is so nice here."

"That's so kind of you. We do have a lot of nice employees. Everyone works together to help people. I know it's not like that at some stores."

She turned to another lady who was walking up, and took her to the service desk to ring up her groceries. The checker I had was efficient, friendly, and didn't even bruise my bananas.

I almost felt like I was getting special treatment!

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

It is nice to be noticed. Everyone likes recognition. I miss the little diner that fed me fish every Friday, everyone in there would speak to us when we walked in the door. HeWho is a good tipper and that helps!

River said...

It certainly sounds like a special treatment day, that would put a spring in your step and a smile in your heart, except your knees probably don't remember how to spring.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H has his Casey's workers who look out for him, and set aside the donut he likes. I'm pretty sure he never tips them, but he's a personable guy who's there every day, except when he's fasting for a blood test.

***
River,
You are correct. My knees have lost their spring. I am thankful when they allow me to balance enough to get my scratchers, and back to T-Hoe!