Thursday, January 25, 2024

Providing Location Without A Direction

Lost or unlost, the boxer has been sighted! Yesterday I told you how a lady out here asked Farmer H on Facebook if he'd seen her boxer. Which she said was following our "brown dog." That could only be Scarlett, since Jack is white and spotted, and Copper Jack (thought not our dog) is more golden than brown. My whole time living here, I've only seen a boxer out on the blacktop county road.

Wednesday, I saw the boxer! It was around 3:45. I was coming home from town, already on the gravel road after snatching the mail out of EmBee. When I came to the place where I make a LEFT TURN to get on the gravel road that runs in front of the Mansion, there stood a boxer. 

The boxer had on a blue collar. He seemed mild-mannered. Glanced at me as I drove by. He had a companion! Across the gravel road, sniffing into the woods. A bloodhound! A pretty one, too. All smooth and brown, with long floppy ears, and a bright orange collar. He seemed to be the leader of the two. Going his own way boldly, with the boxer hanging back, watching him, ready to follow.

I called Farmer H, who was already at bingo, and told him so he could send that lady a message. It's been a couple days, so I'm sure the boxer has been going back home. But she might want to know where he was, and who he was with. Definitely not our Scarlett!

You'd think it would be pretty obvious that a smooth lanky brown bloodhound was not our stocky fluffy white-ruffed reddish Scarlett. Maybe the boxer follows several dogs.

Anyhoo... I deliberately did not mention any directions to Farmer H, lest he give that lady faulty information. I just told him that the boxer was between the two little bridges by Farmer H and Buddy's badly blacktopped hill. That was only 10 feet from their true location. If the lady went there, and they remained, she could easily spot them if she looked between the two little bridges.

Those dogs might be the source of our fleabags' constant barking. Them, or the Boston Terrier in a sweater that I saw two days ago by the BARn field.

5 comments:

River said...

You've done your good samaritan bit by passing on the location and decription of the other dog, so now it's up to the boxer's owner to come and find him. Unless Farmer H's directions send her on a wild goose chase halfway across the state.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I need to ask Farmer H what he told that lady. I imagine the boxer has been back home since her initial inquiry, but he might stay gone for long periods, and she might want to track him down to teach him to stay home. Now I wonder where that bloodhound belongs. I haven't seen one of them out here, either.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

That is a lot of dogs roaming around! The most surprising one would be the Boston in a sweater! Usually dogs who wear clothes are guarded and kept inside by the owner.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Reminds me of when I drove in a van from Springfield MO to Boston with a college group. One of the gals suggested we stop at Wendy's for lunch, because it would be easy to drive in and out. "Wendy's is always on the left." What in the NOT-HEAVEN??? This was a soon-to-be college graduate! Besides, it would have been easier if Wendy's was always on the RIGHT!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Oops! That first comment was meant for the other post.

There are 40+ families out here, on 10-acre plots, so lots of dogs, but they usually stay in their general area. The Boston Terrier belongs to our across-the-road neighbor, we think. She has several rescue dogs, and a dog-grooming business in town. I guess she trusts this one to let out for a while. She put up the crazy Rottweiler and killer poodle shortly after they ate all our chickens, and kept chasing our own dogs up on our porch. Penned them behind her house.