Friday, January 26, 2024

Life With Farmer H Is A Permanent Scavenger Hunt

The Pony never asks for anything. But Tuesday morning, when I mentioned that I was going to the store, he said that he'd like two Symphony candy bars if I found them on my newly-discovered candy aisle at 10Box. He likes the plain version, whereas I prefer the kind with toffee and nuts.

I DID find the Symphony bars! It's been so long since I bought any that the packaging has changed! Anyhoo, I got two of them for The Pony. I also got him a brick of Kerrygold butter, to go with the five corn muffins I was planning to send him. That was a surprise. When we talked about the beans and corn muffins I had made, The Pony recalled how he always liked the corn muffins. "There's something about the texture, right at the end of chewing them." That surprised me, because The Pony is quite persnickety about food textures.

Anyhoo... Farmer H had plans to pick up The Pony for lunch on Wednesday, his day off. So I set the bag with the two Symphony bars and the five corn muffins in front of the banana bowl, so Farmer H wouldn't forget to take them as he left the Mansion that morning. I was waiting to put in the butter, so it could stay cold in FRIG II overnight.

Sweet Gummi Mary! On Wednesday morning, before Farmer H got up, I thought I would never find that butter. The butter Farmer H had put away for me when carrying in groceries the day before.

Any normal person would have put the butter on the top shelf of the door, behind that little see-through plastic flip-up thingy, next to the Kerrygold butter we already have. But we have established long ago that Farmer H is not a normal person.

I searched high and low. Finally found that Kerrygold for The Pony. It was on the third shelf, behind my daily can of Shasta Diet Cola and a third-pack of shredded lettuce and a half-pack of slaw mix. I had to move those three items to get it out. It was almost as if Farmer H was hiding that butter for himself!

Anyhoo... I asked The Pony later if he had carried in his candy and corn muffins and butter. 

"They are all in my refrigerator right now!"

"I didn't know if you needed the butter, so I got you some anyway."

"Mother. I am a BUTTERTON! Of course I have butter. Lots of butter. But more is always better."

At least The Pony knows where to find his butter. 

4 comments:

River said...

I'm glad you found the butter eventually and I agree with The Pony, when it comes to butter more is always better!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I thought The Pony would probably have butter, but I would have hated to surprise him with corn muffins if he was out. That would have been cruel!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I rarely ask HeWho to put up groceries, but sometimes he will take it upon himself to put away the cold stuff if I am occupied repackaging meat for the freezer. His normal go to is the top shelf for everything, but sometimes he will hide things. This always baffles me because it took time to move stuff around and it is unlike him to exert any energy. I can only assume watching me hunt down items brings him pleasure!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H usually goes straight for the open space I have cleared for something else. So I was surprised to find that butter so deep on the third shelf.