Saturday, January 27, 2024

Timing Is Everything

My errand day did not get off to a good start. I had several bills that needed checks written. Then Farmer H came home sooner than expected. The delays made me an hour late leaving the Mansion. Of course there was a heavy downpour at the time. Not what I wanted to see when I would be walking from the pumps across the parking lot when getting T-Hoe's gas.

The only good thing about leaving late is that I didn't have to rush to beat the after-school traffic. It was over as I was starting to town. I decided to reverse my route. Stopped at the Gas Station Chicken Store first. That's pretty close parking with my placard, to get under the roof by their pumps. I can't buy T-Hoe's gas there, because the pumps I need are imbedded in concrete islands, and my knees don't want to step up and down to get over them.

From there, I went to the School-Turn Casey's. Again, I parked pretty close to the door with my placard. The rain had lessened a bit, but not enough for me to risk mailing Genius's letter, and four bills, through the snout of the outdoor mailbox across the street. 

I proceeded to the main post office, with its covered parking, to take my mail inside. They've closed their drive-thru mailboxes, for some reason.

THEN I  was ready to go to the Sis-Town Casey's for T-Hoe's gas. And the rain had slowed to an occasional sprinkle. So my timing was impeccable. At the time, I didn't know just how impeccable! 

On the way home, I didn't have to drive back into Hillmomba. My Gas Station Chicken Store business was already done. So I just took the roundabout by the bowling alley. It was along that stretch of road that I saw THE MOST AMAZING RAINBOW EVER! It started up by the state park, curved over the prison, and ended miles away near a blacktop road that goes to Bill-Paying Town.

Of course I couldn't see exactly where the rainbow started and ended. If I could, I'd not be writing this, but living it up in Vegas with my two pots of gold! But this rainbow was spectacular. I was in awe. It was SO THICK, and GLOWING WITH COLOR, like a cartoon rainbow! I couldn't get a picture there on the road. But I watched it as I drove along, hoping it would last until I got home.

Well. You know how that goes. I DID manage to get a picture coming up our gravel road, approaching the edge of our second property.


You can barely see it at the end of the road. The sun was getting lower in the sky, and some clouds were moving in from the north.


As I got closer to the BARn field, I could see it better. But wait! I saved the best for last!


There's the other end of it, which I caught while starting down Mailbox Hill. Still not as wide and brilliant as when I first saw it, but pretty impressive.

I'm pretty sure that if I'd left on time, I would have missed this beautiful sight.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Wow, that is impressive, what a beautiful sight!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I wish I could have stopped in the middle of the road by the bowling alley, to capture that rainbow at its most brilliant stage. Their parking lot was not facing the right way for me to pull over there.

River said...

It's a beautiful rainbow and I'm glad you got a late start so you could catch it for us to see.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I wish I had captured a more vivid picture, but I'm happy to share what I have.