Monday, January 8, 2024

Standing At The Right Hand Of (Mrs. Hillbilly) Mom

Why are weirdos so freakin' weird???

Sunday afternoon, I was in the Gas Station Chicken Store, thanking my favorite clerk for selling me a $500 winner on Saturday. Nobody else was in the store.

"Do you know what you've done?"

"What THIS time?"

"You sold me a $500 winner yesterday!"

"Ooh! Which ticket?"

"The new ten."

"Have you cashed it in?"

"No. I didn't even bring it to town. I figured Man Owner wouldn't be here on a Sunday."

"Sometimes he stops by. But not today."

"I might just cash it at 10Box. I don't always get to town before Man Owner leaves."

"He's been staying a little later. I might be working on Tuesday. I got a call from Woman Owner this morning, asking me to work if it snows."

"Oh, no! More snow? I think temps are supposed to get into the mid-30s, though. So maybe it'll be off the road."

I might just wait until Tuesday to cash in that winner. I like to take it back to where I got it, because everyone's always so happy it came from their store. 

Anyhoo... I was cashing in a previous winner, and Fave already had my tickets on the counter, ringing them up. An Old Man came in and stood next to me! At my right elbow. Too close for my comfort, although I'm sure he could smell the Halls Mentholyptus Honey Lemon Cough Drop on my breath. 

WHAT IN THE NOT-HEAVEN IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

A line forms BEHIND the person currently being served. Not beside them. Another guy had come in, and was lagging back, in the area behind me. Like he was normal. Old Man was just in the way. I had to go out around behind him to get to the door.

I am really not at all fond of people.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Did you want to look him in the eye and yell, "MOVE!" I have fantasies of such things. People are annoying and I have plenty of that right here in my house!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I wanted to say, "Hey, bud! What's your problem?" Like Jeff Spicoli said to Mr. Hand in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWepGzRYlEU
[1:07]

I don't hesitate to say such things right here in the Mansion!

River said...

In my mind I would have stepped back onto his foot while my elbow accidentally jabbed him, but in reality I might have just seethed like you did. I like to think I would have asked him to back off a little, but I'm less inclined to do things that might make people react badly these days.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I try not to interact, ever since that time years ago when I asked that man in the now-torn-down Casey's if he was in line. Just trying to be nice, not wanting to take his turn. He was way over by the donut case, holding a box of donuts, talking to some guy. He had SUCH A FIT, throwing his donuts on the counter, asking if that was fast enough. A real psycho weirdo! He could have just said, "Go ahead, I'm talking." Or "Yes."