Sunday, June 18, 2023

A Good Deed On The Home Front

Farmer H went to his 50th high school reunion Saturday night. His school had small classes. There were 37 former students and teachers who showed up. Farmer H helped plan the festivities. He took the cake. Literally. Not figuratively. And also a commemorative token, which was a little metal bottle opener in school colors, with the mascot and year printed on it.

When he came home, Farmer H was carrying two styrofoam containers. 

"I brought you something. Some fried chicken and ribs."

"What kind of chicken?"

"I don't know. I brought four pieces. A leg. I think a breast. And maybe a back."

"A BACK? Who eats a chicken back these days?"

"Well, I don't know. I don't know the pieces."

Seriously? In this day and age, what elderly man does not know his chicken pieces? Anyhoo... this was a nice gesture.

MMMMM! I'm not a big fan of ribs, but I'm not turning them down! They were more smoked than barbecued, so I got some extra sauce to dip it in. One rib portion was enough for me.

The fried chicken was indeed a breast and a leg. I don't like legs. But the other two pieces were thighs. So there's still food for Sunday, although Farmer H is being taken out for dinner by The Pony.  No cake for me, but at least Farmer H thought about me, and brought home some meat.

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Always nice to be thought of. Since neither of us attended graduation ceremonies, earning our GED diplomas instaed, we will never have to attend a reunion. I was too eager to begin my life at 15 and got married. Thought I was homely and if someone proposed I better jump on it. This turned out to be a disaster. I married someone who eagerly reinforced my insecurities. I seem to have overcome them, though.

River said...

Yay! Free food! Sorry you missed out on cake though.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes. I usually only know that Farmer H realizes I exist when I'm pretty sure he's trying to kill me! That may have worked out for the best in your case. You have DEFINITELY overcome any real or imagined insecurities!

***
River,
I prefer savory over sweet, but I would have dearly loved a piece of that storebought cake with buttercream icing!