Thursday, June 1, 2023

The Work-Maker

Tuesday night we had chicken burritos for supper. I got all of Farmer H's ingredients together, but he was in charge of spooning them into the tortilla and folding it. I can't do everything for him, you know. Or pretty soon I'd be chewing it and baby-birding it into his gaping maw.

Anyhoo... I had set everything on the cutting block for Farmer H. Everything he'd need. Then I gave him instructions to put the stuff back in FRIG II, since I make my meal later than his.

When I got up later and walked past the cutting block, I saw that he had left some diced onions, shredded cheddar, and shredded cabbage ( 2 packs for $3, compared to shredded lettuce at $3.88 a bag!) on a paper plate. Seriously. I could have used that cheddar if he'd put it back in FRIG II. But that wasn't what stuck in my craw!

FARMER H HAD LICKED THE SPOONS!

Yes. I could clearly see his tongue marks on the spoons that I had carefully set out so he didn't use one spoon in the salsa and sour cream, thus contaminating the contents.

"Did you lick the spoons?"

"Yes. You don't like it when I leave them messy." 

"They're STILL messy! It's not like you rinsed them and put them in the sink. Now I have to dirty three more spoons. Because you also licked the big spoon from the refried beans pan. Always making more work for ME!"

Can you believe I didn't even get a "sorry" from Farmer H? Never mind. I'm sure you can.

6 comments:

River said...

Oh I believe you times a thousand. So icky to lick the spoons and then leave them there.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I KNOW! The sink was two steps away! I'd rather he had just set the (unlicked) spoons on the plate that held his leftover diced onion and cheese, and I could have used them again when I got my food ready. Especially if he had set that plate in FRIG II for the cheese. Which was also two steps away, in the other direction.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I read this aloud to HeWho does very similar things. He didn't even laugh, apparently he sees nothing out of order here. My favorite part is telling you he licked them because you don't like it when he leaves them messy. It is all your fault!!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Of course he would see nothing wrong. It's Guy Code. If they all stand together, they can better gaslight us into thinking their behavior is normal. Yeah, it's my fault Farmer H is a spoon-licker! Maybe I should set out all the dishes for his tongue to clean!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Like that old joke about the grandson who was visiting his grandfather. He mentioned that there was a sticky film on his plate and was told it was as clean as cold water could get it. This goes on and on about things from the cupboards being as clean as cold water could get, the punchline is that the dog's name is Cold Water.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Heh, heh! That is a joke I hadn't heard!