Friday, June 9, 2023

Out Of Mrs. HM's Fingertips And Into The Universe

Mrs. HM is feeling a bit guilty tonight, sitting here at the kitchen table at 10:12 p.m. Remember how I was wishing Farmer H had chosen a different time for his back doctor appointment? The Universe heard my wish! To the detriment of Farmer H! He has to go back next week! Only had 10 minutes of x-rays! That story will be told on my not-so-secret blog. Maybe on Sunday.

Anyhoo... Farmer H didn't even show up at the Mansion before I left for my errand day. So I only had to actually put up with him from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. Oh, and previous to that, from 10:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., because he got out of bed saying his hip hurt, and laid in the recliner. Which I find annoying, even though he isn't doing anything. Just laying there in his tighty-whities, eyes closed, breathing. I never know if he's asleep or not. If I should talk, or if I can change the TV channel.

I'm not sure where Farmer H went after his x-rays. He WAS here at 4:00 when I got home from errands. Scarlett was loose! She was running with the pair of Jacks! That's unusual. Usually, Scarlett acts like she's human, and scorns interaction with the Jacks. But this time, she came running over to the garage as I came down the driveway. Copper Jack was in the lead, looking back over his shoulder for her. Then my little Jack. And Scarlett. She didn't even dart into the garage!

When I came out the people door, Scarlett was standing beside Jack on the porch. She ran down the steps to jump up on me. I gave her a hug. I know that only encourages jumping. I'll work on that. THEN Scarlett jumped up on the side porch! Seriously. Flat-footed! She just leaped up there like it was nothing! Of course I'm used to Jack, who definitly can't do that. Even Juno didn't jump up like that. Down, yes. But not up. Not even taking a run at it.

Also, Scarlett came over to the kitchen door with Jack while he was awaiting his treat. She didn't try to run inside. She didn't steal Jack's treat, the best one, which was a quarter of a hot dog bun soaked with hamburger grease. Scarlett got half a slice of stale sourdough bread. She ate it like a regular dog. No turning up her dainty nose.

Farmer H was over on Shackytown Boulevard. He got fresh water for Scarlett, and hooked her back on the lead for the night. We want to try and leave her loose, but he will be busy with his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2) for three days. Maybe Sunday afternoon.

I think it's a good sign that Scarlett seems to have befriended the Jacks.

4 comments:

River said...

Good to hear ofScarlett running with the Jacks and coming for her treat.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think Scarlett might have just realized that she's a DOG! We have high hopes for her pack-itization to continue.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

She is finding her place in the pack. Martha never knew he was a cat, he just knew he was superior to the dogs. My pack is down by two, but Bo makes up for it with his energy!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Jack seems to accept Scarlett. No nipping or growling. He will come up to her and occupy the same space, which my dear departed Juno would not have done. Copper Jack doesn't like Scarlett. He barks at her from the yard while she is on the porch. I guess Jack is in the middle of this threesome. I hope they can form a semi-functioning pack, like the pair of Jacks did with Juno, who had no love for Copper Jack. They all chased rabbits and squirrels together, and the Jacks would play-fight while Juno barked at them enthusiastically in encouragement.