Monday, June 19, 2023

Making The Most Of His Day

The Pony took Farmer H out for lunch on Father's Day. The plan was to go eat at the local catfish restaurant at 3:00. Of course Farmer H switched things up, and decided to leave his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2) early, to eat at 1:00. Because, you know, he couldn't imagine everyone else in the county taking their father to eat catfish after church.

I didn't know this until he showed up at the Mansion while I was trying to catch 40 minutes of ZZZZs before going to town. I swear, I had just laid down at 2:20, with my alarm set for 3:00. It took me 10 minutes to fall asleep, and then all at once, in a dream where I was tattooing people on Ink Masters, and subsequently designing beautiful square wooden end tables... I was awakened by a loud THUD.

It sounded like somebody was bagging up the trash, with the bag having an empty pickle jar in the bottom. Then I noticed that the living room light was on. And the TV that had been turned off was blaring Wagon Train or a similar western. I gave up then, and arose to take my shower. Curiously, there was nobody in the living room.

When I got out, Farmer H was in his recliner. I asked about the THUD, and he said he had pulled out a kitchen stool to sit at the cutting block. Huh. Must have turned it over, since I don't recall making a noise like that any time I pulled out a stool, heh, heh.

Oh, and I also discovered that Farmer H had scratched the scratchers I gave him for Father's Day, without waiting for me to vicariously revel in the thrill, and had won $40.

"How was your catfish?"

"We didn't go there. The line was out the door and into the parking lot at 1:15!"

"Of course it was! That's where everybody takes people around here to celebrate something."

"We had the Chinese buffet instead."

I'm sure they both enjoyed it. I think Farmer H had a pretty good day. A feast, $40, and annoying me!

4 comments:

River said...

If he'd waited until the original 3pm date, we could have read stories about how wonderful the catfish was.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I know! My stomach was all set for Farmer H to eat catfish! I was wondering if they would still have slaw if I wasn't there.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I should be ashamed to admit that I forgot it was Father's Day. My Daddy is gone and though HeWho was once mistaken for my Daddy, he is not. I changed the sheets on the bed and told him I did it for him. I really had planned to do it anyway, but let him think he is special.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
What a sweet and thoughtful gift for HeWho, that you were going to do anyway!