Sunday, June 4, 2023

There Oughta Be A Law. Or Two!

As I type this, it is 8:51 p.m. on Friday. Our house phone just rang. Didn't announce the number as the caller ID usually does. I could not hear if a message was left, because Farmer H has been in bed for over 30 minutes, with the door closed. The answering machine is in there. Let me go check...

I always get nervous at night when the phone rings, even though both boys and Sis have my cell number. Any other time of day, I think it might be somebody who got our mail by mistake.

SWEET GUMMI MARY! Do you know who that was??? Probably not, since I did not know myself. But wrap your not-as-empty-as-my head around THIS! It was the freakin' electric company!!! With the fifth announcement that we should be expecting a representative in 7-10 days to install our smart meter.

There oughta be a law! First of all, against the forced installation of smart meters! But I doubt that will ever happen. Secondly, against calling at this hour of the night. I know telemarketers can call until 9:00 p.m. local time. But seriously. It was a recording. Can the electric company not manage to get their robocalls out at a more acceptable hour? Before the elderlies go to bed?

Farmer H needs his beauty sleep!

6 comments:

Rae said...

I agree - the least they can do is get their calls out during normal business hours. Every other administrative thing gets done during those hours, so should the calls - robocalls or not. Nice time range too - 7 to 10 days and the 5th time you've been notified that nothing will be happening for at least, 7 to 10 days. This could go on all summer. Ranee (MN)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
That right! I can't call THEM at 8:51 p.m. In fact, I'd be lucky to get anyone during "normal" business hours without a lengthy wait. I don't mind so much the continued notifications. I see that as bonus time without having that smart meter! Good thing I'm not sitting home waiting for their serviceman to show up. They say we will have our power off for 30-60 minutes. With my luck, they will show up when I'm in the shower, fully soaped and shampooed, and the water will stop as the well pump goes off.

River said...

They should definitely call during normal business hours, they probably think setting up the robo calls for all hours covers all their customers and they don't care if you get woken up or not.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
They also don't care if they honor the 7-10 day time period that they're waking us up about! Might as well send it once, saying, "One of these days, when we feel like it, we will come put in a smart meter."

Kathy's Klothesline said...

We don't even answer if the call is too late unless we can see one of our relative on the ID.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
We don't answer either, but the ringing is still unsettling at the late hour.