Monday, June 26, 2023

The Pony Does Not Work For Bread Alone

The Pony seems to be happy with his job and earnings. He doesn't have a lot of expenses. He accrues time for sick leave, and vacation days. His hours are steady, now what he's a regular. And every so often, there's an unexpected perk that brightens his day. People GIVE him things!

Like a couple weeks ago:


"A house left me banana bread yesterday! It's delicious!"

I'm hoping The Pony took a bite while holding it inside the baggie. Or ate it after he got home. Because his hand doesn't look like something I would want to be eating out of.

This reminds me of my grandma's zucchini bread. It was SO tasty! She'd give me 6 or 8 regular size loaves, all wrapped up in plastic and foil. I'd keep them in the freezer until I was ready for the next one. I guess that's the thing with zucchinis. They grow like weeds! As for bananas, you can find them frequently in a cart at the front of Save A Lot, with a FREE sign on it. The really ripe ones, just right for making banana bread.

6 comments:

Rae said...

One of the stores we used to shop at would bag up a bunch of over ripe and loose banana for 99 cents. It was a good size bag full and there were always nice ones still good for eating and enough for a couple of loaves of bread or more. Way cheaper that way than by the pound and there were so many, that I got at least what I wanted for eating and for bread making. Perfect situation until they stopped doing it. I guess there weren't enough visionaries able to see the potential in a 99 cent bag of bananas. The Ponys picture does make me think I should dig out some frozen bananas and make a couple of loaves. If you're going to make one loaf, you may as well make two or more. Ranee (MN)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
Maybe they had a rule about giving things away. 99 cents does not sound like they were hoping to make money for those bananas. It was probably cheaper to get rid of them that way than to fill up their trash with them to have them hauled away. I have never been a baker, so I rely on the kindness of others to provide me with dessert breads!

River said...

I make banana cake in loaf pans so it's almost the same thing and now I feel the need to make some. It's been a couple of years since the last batch and I have a little space in the freezer. But does the supermarket have the right bananas? I will find out tomorrow.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Good luck with your baking project. If the bananas aren't quite ready, just let them sit around for a couple days!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I hope the Pony kind of knew the woman. I am cautious about food and who prepared it. The baking temp would kill most germs, though!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The Pony might have known her. He's been doing the same five routes, I think, filling in for other's days off. He's excited by any little treat. Even the orange, which he gave to me, and the tomato, which I think he used.