Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Farmer H, A Living, Breathing Conundrum

Farmer H finds new ways to annoy me. THIS week, it has been the living room light.

Let the record show that Farmer H regularly goes to bed before Mrs. HM. After supper, he sits in the recliner watching TV. Though it is currently still daylight at 7:00 p.m., that's around the time the sun goes down behind the trees, and our living room grows gloomy. I am in the kitchen, and the living room is a dark cave. I don't mind so much. I have enough light to see down the hall to the bathroom. But when the house is dark, with people inside watching TV, I think a light should be on.

When we were watching my favorite Showtime series, Yellowjackets, for two months, the light was on. Since many of the scenes were dark, I had asked Farmer H to turn off the light while we watched that show, for better contrast.

"It's fine, HM. I can see. We don't need the light off."

Hmpf. Guess he told ME!

But this week (and part of last week), Farmer H has neglected to put on the living room light. So he is watching HIS shows in the dark. Yet I was denied that pleasure!

Also this week, Farmer H has been coming home midday, for various reasons. Coming home while I am taking my nap/daytime sleep around 1:00 or 2:00. A time when the sun has come over the Mansion, and is shining in under the front porch overhang. Lighting up the living room as if it's... oh... I don't know... how you say... DAYLIGHT!

During these daytime sojourns in the living room, Farmer H makes sure he TURNS ON THE LIGHT! Even though it's not needed. THEN he goes out to mow the yard, or fiddle with something at the BARn, while leaving on the living room light!

Just to make myself clear... Farmer H turns on the light in the daytime, yet leaves it off while sitting in the dark at night. Which bothers me most, because when I am ready to go to the short couch and watch TV, I have to walk over to the wall switch to turn on the light. The wall switch that is beside Farmer H's recliner.

I'm starting to think that CONTRARIAN is Farmer H's true middle name. 

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

First thing HeWho does upon arising at the crack of noon is turn on the lamp next to his chair. If he turns the TV on, he will leave and not turn off either one. Says that he is leaving them on for the benefit of the dogs! Toni Louise does enjoy watching the TV, but only in bed at night. The boy dogs are not interested.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Now I need to know that programs Toni Louise likes! Does she enjoy The Incredible Dr. Pol? I leave him on when I go to town (to make burglars think twice). I figure it will help his ratings, since DISH has to be connected to a phone line, and I bet they know everything I watch.

River said...

I will never understand Farmer H, probably you won't either. I have a north facing window in my living room so you think there'd be enough daylight, right? But in the summer the heat coming in is too intense, so I draw the sunblock curtains and have to turn on the lights. I winter, the cold comes in through it, so I draw the insulated curtains and have to turn the lights on. I can't win!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You're right about the understanding! Short of you boarding up that north window, and cutting a hole in a different wall to make a window, I think you'll just have to deal with unnatural light! Our west-facing picture window has the off-white mini blinds drawn most of the day against the afternoon heat, but lots of light still comes through.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Toni likes anything with animals. We no longer get Dr. Pol! I loved that channel and so did she. She doesn't seem to care for animated shows, but she is a big fan of late night talk shows. I DVR them to watch before we fall asleep, which makes me think she just likes a routine.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Too bad you are Pol-less now! We watch his shows over and over. One of the commercials for Critter Fixers has a dog bark that I always confuse with my own fleabags, and think somebody must be in the driveway.

Yes, it sounds like Toni Louise likes the routine. I often wonder if that Dog Whisperer show would drive my dogs crazy. They lie on the front porch at night, and can hear through the wall. I'm not about to put that show on and risk them having a barking fit!