Sunday, June 25, 2023

We Certainly Know Where The Pony Gets A Lack Of Motivation For Helping People

Heh, heh! Farmer H's lack of sticking to his own timetable came back to bite him in the rumpus on Friday evening! He usually gets home a little after 5:00 on Fridays. But he sent me a text before noon saying that he would be helping The Pony get back into Pony House after locking his key inside.

"I'm picking him up around 515 to haul him home and let him in"

Of course Farmer H knew that I was going to the store. I figured he wouldn't be home until 5:45, so I'd be carrying in the groceries by myself again. For that very reason, I left hamburger off my list. I don't trust Scarlett enough yet to set meat on a chair on the side porch until I climb the steps and unlock the door. Also, I forgot to pick up a frozen pizza that was going to be our supper. It was on the list, but I suppose I followed a list like Farmer H!

Anyhoo... I was T-Hoe-ing along around 5:00, and called Farmer H, thinking maybe if he really wanted pizza, he could stop and pick one up in the store or at Casey's or Domino's.

"Hey, I forgot the pizza. We can have something else if that's okay, or you can get one. I'm almost to the bridge, and I might lose reception."

"I'm right behind you. We can talk when I get home."

"What? Where are you?"

"Coming over the hill by the mailboxes."

"You're AHEAD OF ME! I'm talking about the other bridge."

Anyhoo... I saw Farmer H getting the mail as I turned onto our gravel road. So he was trapped, heh, heh! Had to help me carry groceries. 

"Do you need soda? Should we take some in?"

"No. I don't."

"I think I have one left."

Anyhoo... Farmer H had only two Diet Mountain Dews left in FRIG II. One for that night, and one for Saturday morning on the way to his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2). And I did NOT have one left, just the single bottle of Diet Coke (on sale 3 six-packs for $10) for that night. 

"Huh. I guess I'll have to carry in soda tomorrow. Like I do EVERY time you run out!"

Farmer H goes through a six-pack in about two days. I carry them in, and put them in FRIG II. He's welcome! Not that he ever says thanks.

Anyhoo... Farmer H muttered something about how he was going to take out the trash, and bring in the sodas that evening. But he didn't. Left Saturday morning, leaving FRIG II bereft of soda. I figured I would set it out of T-Hoe onto the side-porch chair as I left for town, and bring it in when I got back. I could put a couple in the freezer to chill them faster.

However... Farmer H came home around 2:15 on Saturday. I was getting up from my beauty sleep when he came in. Then I got in the shower. When I got out, I said, 

"I suppose I still need to bring in some soda."

"No. I brought them in when I got home."

Well! That was a fine how-do-you-do! Something Farmer H had done to help me out! As I was leaving, I looked in FRIG II to see if Farmer H had put in ONE soda, as I am wont to do, or the whole six-pack. The answer was NEITHER!!! I saw his six-pack of Diet Mountain Dew on the top shelf. And my six-pack of Diet Coke sitting on the floor of the kitchen!

"I can't believe you! Here I thought for the last hour that I had a soda cooling for when I get back. But they're sitting on the floor! I can't believe you!"

"Well, I didn't know if you'd want them cold."

"What in the NOT-HEAVEN? Who drinks Diet Coke hot? It's 97 degrees outside!"

"They'll cool off while you're gone to town."

Sure. Soda will go from 97 degrees to a nice chill suitable for drinking in an hour in FRIG II. I don't think so. I put one bottle in, and gave it 30 minutes in the freezer when I came home. Which made it suitable for drinking. No thanks to Farmer H.

4 comments:

River said...

Just for a second there I thought he was helping properly, then I read your diet coke was on the floor...tsk tsk.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I KNOW! Almost like he got my hopes up, and then dashed them on the floor!

I suppose I should be grateful that Farmer H actually carried in one of my Diet Coke six-packs when he was bringing in his Mountain Dew. It would not have surprised me if he only brought his own.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I didn't know you wanted them cold! Sounds so much like the man in the recliner!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I KNOW! Like I drink boiling hot Diet Coke on a regular basis.