Saturday, June 3, 2023

T-Hoe's Latest Affliction

A few days ago, the skies clouded over while I was in town. It was 5:30, but looked later. I pulled up behind a small sedan at the stoplight, and noticed that there was only one reflection bouncing back at me. T-Hoe is from 2008, when daytime running lights were a thing. So every time I drive him, the headlights are on. Day or night, they come on automatically.

Anyhoo... that made me wonder if T-Hoe's right headlight was working. I don't get out after dark, unless something has delayed me getting home. So it's not a big deal, though it IS illegal to drive with only one headlight. I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to daylight driving, but only to times when headlights are necessary to see.

Anyhoo... when I pulled into the garage, I could see the left headlight shining on the front wall. But not the right. I tried the high beams. Huh. Still not seeing the right side illuminated. That's odd. They're different bulbs. Yet I could see both on the left side. I flipped the control a couple times. Bright. Regular. Bright. Regular. Bright. Regular.

WAIT A MINUTE! Both lights were shining on the front wall of the garage!

I haven't had a chance yet to tell Farmer H. This seems more like something is going on with the electrical connections, rather than a burned-out bulb. As I've mentioned before, sometimes the radio just goes dead. Lights, sound. Nothing. No fiddling with the controls will bring it back. But then it just starts again on its own. Not related to hitting bumps or turning off the ignition.

I'm sure Farmer H will ridicule me and tell me this is not possible. Like he did when I told him that T-Hoe feels like he's putt-putting along, now that the oil change finally happened. He said it's not related to the oil change. I can't help it if this started the same day, hours after the oil change. It may be completely unrelated. I was just telling Farmer H that there's something not right with T-Hoe. He idles roughly, and doesn't accelerate smoothly. It's like when you go to squeeze out some Blue Cheese Dressing, and a chunk of cheese gets stuck in the hole, then shoots out with a quirt of dressing.

Now if I can just make T-Hoe's lights do the on/off thing while Farmer H is observing...

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Reminds me of the time my car's tramsmission went out on an interstae in Arkansas and when I called home for help, heasked what I was doing when it happened, adding "you weren't playing with the four wheel drive were you?" Like it would be inconceivable for the car to break own unless I did something to cause it. Good luck.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I still have that rattle thingy that he mentioned was probably a loose rubber gasket on the stabilizer bar. That can't be good! I could become unstable at any time! I think I used up all my luck when he got the oil changed at 9 percent life.

Why in the Not-Heaven would HeWho think you would be playing with the 4WD while going down the interstate? It's not like you were off-roading on Mt. Everest!

River said...

Sounds to me like T-hoe needs a complete overhaul, before he (she?) stops dead in the middle of nowhere and you have to limp home on your own. Of course I know that you would phone for help, but you get my meaning. Farmer H is sadly lacking when it comes to the welfare of your car.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
T-Hoe is a HE, thank you for inquiring on his preferred pronouns, heh, heh! He surely needs new spark plugs, never having had them changed since he came to live here in 2008! That has something to do with the putt-putting, I think, which he's had off and on, worse now after the oil change.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

After I yelled at him for asking such a stupid question, he calmly asked me to tell him exactly what I was doing. You know, in that tone that would indicate you aren't quite bright!Told him I was sing with the radio and the cruise control was on , as I was in the fast lane passing a semi.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I hope that was enough detailed information for him to find a way to blame your actions for that transmission malfunction! I'm sure it must have been that you were singing too loud...