Wednesday, May 29, 2024

A New Tactic Might Be Required

The marination of the pork steaks was disappointing. My portion was chewy and tough, despite five hours in the marinade. Farmer H said his was "okay," but that I would probably be disappointed. I have to blame the meat itself. Farmer H is a great griller. Can't pin this one on him.

I suppose I will have to start BOILING the pork steaks before grilling. That's what I do in the winter, before putting them in the oven, coated with BBQ sauce. They come out fork-tender. This tactic should not be necessary for a normal grilled pork steak. Sad how the quality of meat had declined. This has happened with purchases from both Save A Lot and 10Box. Save A Lot used to have the best meat around. They have their own butcher. I suppose 10Box might, as well. Anyhoo... these most recent pork steaks came from 10Box.

Meanwhile, Farmer H says he is not playing bingo on Tuesday nights anymore. That the "prices" are not worth it. I figure it's because his cronies have decided not to play there. Even though one of them won $8000. Seriously. What are the odds of THAT lightning striking twice? Farmer H has said that they might go on Thursday nights, to "music" bingo. Huh. Farmer H is terrible with music, unless it's late '80s country. He says his people know music, and they share the info at their table. Seems kind of cheaty, but whatever works to win Farmer H a "price."

And get him out of the Mansion one night a week!!!

5 comments:

River said...

Try the steaks one more time but with a soy sauce marinade in case that makes a difference.
I agree that anything taking Farmer H out of the Mansion one night a week is a good thing.

River said...

I think there is something in the soy sauce that helps to tenderise the meat, but if it doesn't make a difference next time then it's the actual meat at fault.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Horror of horrors, Farmer H said this morning that he is NOT going to music bingo! So that, combined with his friends' abandonment of the Tuesday night place, means HE WILL BE HOME EVERY NIGHT!!!

River 2,
I know soy sauce is very full of SALT, so that might be it. But Worcestershire sauce is also salty. The meat looks just fine. The piece I had last night was not quite as chewy. I really think it's the meat quality that has changed, since we never had this issue with pork steaks before, in our many years of grilling.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I agree with you about the meat quality. WE have noticed this, too. Soy sauce is a big no no for cardiac patients. Vinegar will help tenderize meat. I make my own marinade and use different vinegars, like red wine or balsamic. I also add a tablespoon of olive oil. Like a salad dressing with ore vinegar than oil. Seems to do the trick, though.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
YES! It's not just my imagination! I am not a vinegar aficionado. The Pony surely has a couple varieties. I will look into some balsamic vinegar to try for a marinade.