Wednesday, May 8, 2024

The Disappearing Artist, Otherwise Known As Scarlett

Farmer H made a surprise appearance on Tuesday, walking in the kitchen door of the Mansion around 2:30. That is not expected, nor welcome.

"What are YOU doing home right now?"

"I had to go poop."

"There's not a toilet anywhere else in the county?"

"I just came out here. Then I'm going back to town."

Of course Farmer H had to sit down at the kitchen table and take up my computer time to chat. When I finally ran him off, reminding him that it was my nap time before shower and town, his phone rang. It was the title office lady, revealing that all papers were signed for our QuickFlip purchase, and the only step left was to file the deed at the recorder's office at the county courthouse. Which the title company does. Also, we were getting a check for about $20, if I heard right coming out Farmer H's non-phone ear. He said to mail it to us.

Anyhoo... as Farmer H finally left, Scarlett was hopping around outside the kitchen window, totally smitten with the object of her ADORATION. Farmer H spoke to her as he walked out.

When I left for town at 4:15, Scarlett did not come running for her goodbye treat. Jack was there. All wiggly and happy to see me. He got Scarlett's quarter-slice of bread dredged through bacon grease left over from Easter dinner.

No Scarlett again when I returned home at 5:40. My little Jack was out back. And Copper Jack came over. But no Scarlett. I asked Jack where she was. He did not answer me. Can you believe that? Time went on. No Scarlett outside the kitchen window while I was scratching my lottery tickets. I started to worry.

I sent Farmer H a text that I had picked up the mail, so he didn't have to stop when he came home from bar bingo. And told him that Scarlett was missing.

"I guess she followed you all the way to town this time!"

"No. She actually stood in the road and watched me drive away."

"I don't know who's got her. She probably reeks of perfume right now."

Around 7:30, I went to the front door and looked out. In case she was laying there, waiting to bark at Copper Jack. Nope. So sign of Scarlett. My loyal little Jack was there. He ran over, thrilled to see me. But he still would not tell me where Scarlett was.

Shortly after I returned to the kitchen table for scratching, Farmer H showed up. And outside the window, I saw Scarlett! It's almost like she has a psychic connection to the object of her ADORATION, seeing no need to reveal herself until he shows up.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

If Toni louise were an outside dog, I could probably go days without seeing her. Inside she waits patiently for her master BEHIND his recliner. The boy dogs are always right there where I can see them. So far my daughter's biter Gemma is doing well in therapy and is still being isolated from the other three dogs. Max now gets to sleep in the bed with my daughter while Birdie is nicely crate trained. Bruno sleep with my grandson. The vet agrred with me, saying all the stress of the new puppies and then my three dogs show up and Eddie has the audacity to challenge her triggered her to react. I hope she will be able to change her ways and get back to her normal sweet self.

River said...

How dare she worry you like that! At least she did eventually turn up.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I hope Gemma gets herself together. It's hard to give up on a "family member," even if they are furry four-leggers.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't know where your comment was hiding, but it was absent earlier in the day. At least it has now arrived!

Scarlett is here now, and was smelling like dead fish when I returned home today. The dogs must have gone down to the creek while Farmer H was mowing over in the 10 acres beside the BARn field. Jack was wet, but at least didn't stink. I don't blame Scarlett. She is just learning how to be a dog, and not a caged prisoner in an apartment 12 hours a day.