Friday, May 10, 2024

Always The Victim, Never The Well-Fed Farmer

While discussing what Farmer H wanted for his supper on Thursday, talk turned to what he'd had for lunch at the Senior Center.

"I'm not all that hungry..."

"I forgot what you were having for lunch today."

"Nothing great. We had some pasta. And slaw."

"No protein? I'm pretty sure they had to serve you some kind of protein. They are funded by a federal program."

"No. It was just noodles with some vegetables in it. And the slaw. We had a choice of white or vinegar. I took the white."

"Yeah! Because it has SUGAR in it!"

"The other one was just too vinegary." (How did Farmer H know if he didn't have both?)

Well. I couldn't believe that Farmer H didn't have any protein with his lunch. So I went to look at the monthly schedule he brings home.

"Huh. It says here that you were having FRIED CATFISH today! And corn nuggets. And slaw, wedges, and variety of desserts."

"Yeah. We had catfish. And corn nuggets. And potato wedges."

"THAT'S YOUR PROTEIN! You never said you had catfish!"

"The desserts was just leftovers from yesterday. Like the noodles."

"Yesterday was CHICKEN PARM WITH NOODLES!"

"Huh. Well. We had some leftovers."

No wonder Farmer H refused the salad I offered him with his chicken wings. He was stuffed to the gills with a regular lunch and leftovers from the previous day's lunch!

You can't just take Farmer H's first recount of what happened...

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Wait, what is protein? Sounds just like someone I know!

River said...

I would give up asking and just check the menu, THEN ask how did he enjoy the catfish or chicken or whatever protein they were serving that day. That way he can't weasel out of telling you what he ate.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Don't get me started on the protein! That's a whole 'nother story!

***
River,
I really was just wondering, since Farmer H wasn't hungry for a full supper. I'm not his food police. If I was, he would be locked up, and the key unfindable!

His answer was so unbelievable that it spurred my investigation.