Sunday, May 5, 2024

Once Again, Vigilance Is Mrs. HM's Kitchen Savior

For years I have refused to believe that Farmer H is... um... not very bright. He's a genius with machines and building shacks without plans, and coming up with quick fixes to save money and time. But when it comes to the kitchen, I fear that Farmer H actually IS... um... not very bright.

Friday evening, Farmer H was getting his weekend lunches ready to take to his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2). It was four hot dogs and their buns. He has some kind of heater that he uses for warming food. So he wraps it in foil. Takes the buns separately.

Of course I stopped scratching at the kitchen table. No good can come of lottery tickets in the presence of Farmer H. Before he even reached into the lower corner cabinet by the sink, I said

"Make sure to use the cheap foil. Not the non-stick."

Good thing I was watching. Farmer H was fiddling with the non-stick. I told him to put it back and get the kind that didn't say NON-STICK on the box. He pulled out the yellow box containing plastic wrap. Which had a portion hanging out the lid already, and is still the red-tinted version that comes out around Christmas time. I had to tell him that was not foil! FINALLY, he got out the box of regular foil.

Oh, don't think the problems ended there! I turned my head for one minute, heard a long crinkly noise, and looked back to see that Farmer H had torn off a sheet of foil about the size of a football field!

"You don't need that much foil for two hot dogs!"

"Yes. I do. It's fine, HM."

"Don't take so much for the other two! It's wasteful. Foil is expensive."

So the next piece he tore off was about the size of a basketball court. I watched as he wrapped those packets of two hot dogs each. Over and over and over. The foil thickness was about the same as the hot dog thickness! It's going to take them a while to warm up. All he needed was two pieces of foil, each about the length and width of a tissue box. It's not hard to wrap two hot dogs.

For a normal person...

4 comments:

River said...

I understand his method perfectly, it's "classic male" where he thinks that by doing it wrong you will do it for him next time and every time after that forever and ever. Make him buy his own foil.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That is the most likely scenario. Farmer H probably has his own foil, from the contents of the original 18 storage units. He had dishes and Tupperware and other kitchen stuff, lots of it in plastic tubs. He sold a bunch of it, though I doubt he sold foil.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have been known to smack HeWho for such antics. Makes the dogs riot when I actually slap the man of the house, but they are always on my side, so there you go. I hate waste of any kind.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I'm not a smacker. But as Chris Rock said, "I UNDERSTAND!" My little Jack would of course take my side. That traitor Scarlett would put her paw on a stack of bibles to support Farmer H, even if lightning was poised to strike her.