Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Probably Not Our Problem

Farmer H decided that he would grill on Memorial Day. I bought some pork steaks at 10Box. I usually get our meat at Save A Lot, but the last pork steaks were fibrous and tough. This time, I checked with my estranged BFF Google about marinating the meat beforehand. A bit of soy sauce was recommended, but I didn't have that on hand. So I used Worcestershire Sauce instead. It's salty, too! AND I included the garlic, honey, and brown sugar. Rubbed that all right into the meat, and stored it in FRIG II for five hours. The instructions said it could be from 30 minutes to 24 hours.

Farmer H grilled the meat. He has since eaten his dinner, and said that maybe it was more tender, but perhaps we could marinate it longer next time.

Well. Farmer H is a good griller. For most of our married life, there has been no complaint about the meats he's grilled. I suppose the stores are using cheaper cuts of meat. It's becoming hard to want to buy from them, whether it's Save A Lot or 10Box or Country Mart. The twisted chicken breast meat is off-putting, chewing like gum. Now we have the pork steaks becoming unreliable. 

Makes me want to get my proposed handbasket factory up and running...

2 comments:

River said...

So disappointing when meat doesn't meet standards previously known and enjoyed. The same is happening here and I am tempted to go to an actual Butcher Shop instead of the local supermarkets. The prices at the Butcher are holding me back, for now, but one more disappointing steak will see me on a bus to the next suburb with a good Butcher shop.
Worcestershire has a completely different flavour to Soy, did it taste alright? I add a little Worcestershire and a bigger little bit of tomato sauce (ketchup) when I am making brown gravy.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
YES! The quality has certainly declined! We don't have butcher shops around here. There used to be one over in Bill-Paying Town, where my grandma liked to buy her meat.

The taste was fine. It was the texture of the meat that was disappointing. I like Worcestershire Sauce. I used in in my Chex Mix, and in my meatloaf. I wasn't sure about using it with pork, but the taste was fine.