Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Welcome, I Guess

The cicadas are here. The 13-year brood, I think. Though when I look at the map in this article, it seems that our county has "multiple broods" emerging this year. 

I can't really say that I've noticed the cicadas. I spend most of my time inside the Mansion. I don't hear them outside, because nighttime sounds from the kitchen are pretty much blocked out by the FROGS singing around Poolio.

Anyhoo... every day when I return home from town, and park T-Hoe in the garage, I am reminded that the cicadas are indeed here:


See them there, hanging onto the wood? Just a shell of themselves, actually. No bug inside.


When I was a kid, we'd find the shells stuck to tree trunks all around my next-door grandma's yard. Stuck to anything they could cling to with their sharp little shell-feet. We took great joy in picking them off the trees, and sticking them onto our shirt. Like fragile crunchy jewelry!

I doubt kids nowadays could be bothered with that...

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I haven't seen any so far and I am outside as much as I can be! I wonder if my turtle would enjoy some cicadas to snack on. She eats dried meal worms, but the main course is two fat worms. She is growing again, having just shed her outer shell. One worm is not enough!

River said...

I haven't seen or heard cicadas in decades, living so close to the city as I do. I haven't even heard cerickets for a few summers now. When I was little the cicadas drove me crazy with their noise, now I can't remember what it sounded like.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I didn't look at your state on the map. Maybe you'll have some, maybe you won't. Not sure if Dora would like them, but glad to hear she's still growing.

***
River,
I can't describe their sound, but they do get quite loud when all of them get going.