Monday, March 25, 2024

A Leftover Farmer H Will Eat

Last week I made chicken pot pie. It used up some boneless skinless chicken breasts in FRIG II's freezer. Okay, they were a couple months past the USE BY date. But still good. They had been frozen the whole time! I boiled them because it was the easiest way to cook them before dicing to put in the chicken pot pie. It's pretty simple to make, using store-bought pie crust for the top.

I coated my very old 9 x 13 glass baking dish with butter. Margarine, actually. I'm not going waste that (worth its weight in) Kerrygold greasing a pan. Then I mixed the innards in a couple of large plastic bowls, so I had room for stirring.

1 bag frozen hash brown cubes (thawed)
2 bags frozen peas/carrots (thawed)
1 can cream of chicken soup
16 oz sour cream
1 large onion (diced)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
a couple shakes of garlic salt
ground black pepper

I baked it for however long the store-bought crust said, after rolling the room-temperature crust over the top of the dish. I think it was 450 or 425, for maybe 30 to 40 minutes. Can't remember, I just followed the instructions on the crust package. I DO know that I baked it for about 5 minutes, then covered it with foil, which I removed for the last 10 minutes. The extra crust I trimmed off was used in pieces on top of the crust. I made sure to poke many holes to allow for the contents to let off steam and bubble up.

Gotta toot my own horn and say that this chicken pot pie was DELICIOUS!


We had four nights worth of supper from it. Farmer H was not complaining.


When re-warming, I took off the crust, and put in on foil in the oven to try and regain the crispiness. It only works on the edges. But still, better than microwaving with the innards. It might look dry here, but was just right. Not runny, but still moist.

Mmm... I want to make another one already. More truthfully, I want to EAT another one already.

3 comments:

Rae said...

I've printed off your recipe for future supper(s). Have made individual pot pies, in the past, but too putsy and so don't make very often. This looks a bit less time consuming but will need to make sure I have all of the ingredients. Don't normally buy chunky potatoes or peas and carrots mixed frozen veg but should be able to find easily enuf at Aldi. Ranee (MN)

River said...

It does look nice, maybe I'll try one someday.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
In the past, I've used canned carrots and potatoes, with frozen peas. And sometimes canned white meat chicken, though I have to rinse it several times before dumping it out of the can, because of the chemical taste in canned chicken. It's a pretty convenient recipe, and can yield many meals for the initial effort.

***
River,
You might find out you like it! Of course you probably wouldn't want to make so much. The extra insides freeze well. I just leave off the crust until I thaw it for a later meal, then cook like the original.