Friday, March 22, 2024

Here's The Catch

Farmer H, who can't be bothered to name a single item that he wants from the store, or suggest any meals that he might like prepared for the week, came to life on Sunday and said,

"Where's that fish my buddy brought me from the lake?"

"You mean two or three months ago? It's in the freezer."

"Huh. Well, he brought me some more this afternoon."

"Where is it?"

"He brought it to my store. So I put it in my little refrigerator there."

"It should probably be in the freezer."

"I thought about that. I guess I'll drive down there tomorrow and bring it home."

"Well, I'm not eating it!"

"Why not? It's good fish."

"I don't know how long he had it. Did he catch it that day? Did he have it at home for a while, and then bring it to you? Like that fish from the lake. That's over a 3-hour drive. Did he clean it there first? In a house or camper, or just on the edge of the lake, rinsing it in lake water? Was it in a cooler? A cooler with ice, or with melted water from the day? There's too many unknowns for me to want to eat that fish."

"I don't know any of that. He just gave me fish."

Yes. The fish in FRIG II's freezer right now is in a Glad sandwich bag stuffed full of fish fillets. I just worry about their cleanliness and travel conditions.

When I was at the store Monday, I got some coating to use to cook Farmer H's fish. The cornmeal kind that you can use to coat the fish and bake it. I'm not one to use a deep fryer for fish.

Monday night, Farmer H went to the auction and didn't get home until 8:30. Tuesday he went to bingo and got home at 7:30. Wednesday he picked up Domino's Pizza (half price online this week).

"So what about your fish? I didn't notice that you brought it home."

"Oh. It's still down in my refrigerator. I didn't go there."

"So I guess you won't be eating that fish."

"I don't know why not! It's been in the refrigerator."

"For FOUR days now! And you don't know how long he had it before that. Let's remember the time you got food poisoning from a TV dinner Linguini With Clam Sauce. And IT was FROZEN! I've never seen anybody turn that shade of green."

"Yeah... I guess I won't be eating that fish."

Keeping Farmer H alive, one day at a time.

3 comments:

Rae said...

Don't drink the Kool Aid - I mean, Don't eat the fish. Good thing you reminded him of the food poisoning. I would think that would be something you wouldn't forget. Good thing you're on his side. Ranee (MN)

River said...

I continue to be amazed at what Farmer H declares he will eat until the food poisoning is pointed out.
I wouldn't touch that fish, I wouldn't even get close enough to smell it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
Yes, otherwise Farmer H might be pretty sure I was trying to kill him!

***
River,
If he decides he wants the fish in our freezer, I will thaw it in FRIG II, then immerse it in water for a good rinse before cooking. If it smells, Farmer H will not be getting it. I seriously doubt he would take over and cook it for himself. At least he brought this batch home the same day that guy gave it to him.