Wednesday, March 6, 2024

The Universe Is Laughing

Monday evening, I was happily scratching, listening to music on Spotify, when the music stopped. It was the end of a song, but it didn't go on to the next one. My Spotify is sometimes glitchy, even though I pay the premium price monthly. Probably due to my slow internet, or my old HIPPIE. Usually, a refresh of the page will fix such a problem. Not this time.

My next tactic was a shut-down and a turn-on. That's faster than a restart. I don't know why. 

Still no success. I tried a couple other websites. NO INTERNET!!! What in the NOT-HEAVEN? The weather was a bit cloudy, but the TV was still working. They both run off DISH satellites. I considered waiting 15 minutes or so, to see if it was just a weather thing. Deep in my bones, I knew it was not. I could wait, be inconvenienced, and then bitter when it still didn't work. Or I could face the music and DESCEND THE 13 RAIL-LESS basement steps to unplug and replug the router and the DISH connection.

Farmer H was conveniently (for him) away at an auction. Otherwise, he would have done this task for me. I swear, every time the internet has gone down since we replaced the router, Farmer H has been gone to an auction! It's like The Universe bides its time, waiting until just such an evening. 

I went to the basement. Halfway down, I realized that I had left my phone on the kitchen table. That's not good. One of our landline phones down there, next to my recliner, does not work. The other is in my office. If I fell, I doubt I could drag myself to the office, and find something to grab onto to reach that phone. Oh, well. I was not going back up to get my cell. The descent continued.

I unplugged the router egg-looking thingy. Then went into Farmer H's workshop to unplug the main power to the DISH receiver. No clock in there, so I counted out loud to one-thousand-sixty. Plugged in the two cords again (because I didn't know which one was for sure to the internet DISH). Then went back to the router egg, and re-plugged it. Up those 13 rail-less stairs. 

SUCCESS! 

My right knee is a bit angry today. But I fixed the problem. Farmer H said he would have done it for me if he was here. So there's that...

4 comments:

River said...

Those stairs are STILL rail less??
TskTsk.
I'm guessing they won't get rails until Farmer H has a fall on them.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The rails are apparently a long-term project, the idea first having been mentioned when Genius was three years old. Still, I would rather continue going without rails than for Farmer H to have a fall for motivational purposes!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have broken my foot 4 times and two of times found me having to deal with a kitchen phone mounted on the wall. Remember those with the long cords to enable you to cook an entire meal while talking? I grabbed the cord and pulled until it was tight, then started swinging it from side to side until the reciever came off the phone. We had the newest technology that had the pushbutton key pad in the receiver, otherwise I wouldhave had to try to pull myself up to dial! Cell phones are so much easier ..... unless you forget them! Glad you made it up and down unharmed.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Of course I remember! I was raised on the salary of a Southwestern Bell employee and eventual supervisor. We never lacked for phones. Harvest gold wall phone in the kitchen, avocado green wall phone mounted on a post in the family room, and a white princess phone in my parents' bedroom. The best thing was being able to hold the receiver on your shoulder! My arm gets cramped, holding a cell phone.