Sunday, March 24, 2024

Just When The Universe Saves You From A Crackhead Mugger, It Sends A Burly Thug In Her Place

Three days after I dodged the Crackhead Mugger at Country Mart, I was presented with a new parking lot challenge at the Casey's. Coincidentally, both incidents occurred over in Sis-Town, home of my sister the ex-mayor's wife, and now The Pony. Maybe I should warn them to be extra-aware of the company they don't want to keep!

I had to park T-Hoe at Pump 3 on Thursday, because as I was turning in, a lady in a Jeep usurped Pump 4, my rightful gas pump. Not a big deal. Pump 3 is only a few more steps farther from the concrete handicap ramp onto the sidewalk in front of the store. I went in to pre-pay for gas, and get my scratchers. It was a sunny, windy day. Not too bad for hobbling back to T-Hoe to pump.

I'm always in a hurry to get from counter to gas pump, because one time I made the mistake of taking a bathroom break first, and by the time I got to the pump, my payment had expired. I had to walk all the way back in and get it reset. So now I don't dilly-dally, but make a beeline from cash register to pump. Well, as much of a beeline as I can, what with having to walk to the ramp and then across to T-Hoe, rather than stepping off the curb and going in a straight line rather than a right angle.

Anyhoo... as I neared the ramp, I saw a burly man in his 40s standing there. Not up against the building, not near a car. Just standing on the sidewalk by the ramp. He wasn't the raggedy man I used to give my change to, or the weirdo on the bicycle who likes to talk. I was a bit leery of his presence, but hey, it's a free country. A burly man can stand where he likes. I'm not the sidewalk police.

I went down the ramp and was startled when Burly Man started walking behind me. I don't like that. I don't even like it when my nutso dog Scarlett does than. I wondered why Burly Man would do this. I didn't have my purse, just my cash and debit card in my shirt pocket, unseen. And some scratchers gripped in my left hand. What if Burly Man wanted to snatch my scratchers! NOOOO! I kept them in my left hand, as he was angling to my right. The Jeep lady was gone from Pump 4, so nobody was nearby to intercede on my behalf if I needed it.

My heart was pounding. I bumbled along. Of all the times for the pumps not to be busy, and no traffic about to run me over! I was across the driving lane, and at T-Hoe's bumper. Burly Man had slowly passed me, and was standing at Pump 4! What in the NOT-HEAVEN??? Why was a Burly Man without a vehicle or gas can standing at a gas pump just a few feet away from me?

Wait! Here came a truck along the driving lane. Maybe that driver would help me. In fact, he was pulling right into Pump 4, with a trailer holding a Bobcat. The versatile mechanical vehicle, not the animal. 

Truck Driver greeted Burly Man! In fact, he left Burly Man putting gas in the Bobcat, while he took his young daughter inside Casey's.

Another Mrs. HM mugging narrowly avoided!

4 comments:

River said...

Yu had ne worried when Burly man started walking along behind you. Thank goodness he had other business planned.
I bought two scratchers today, on a whim, cost $1 each, they were called Luck of the Irish with four-leaf clovers on them and on the way home a bus passenger was speaking on his phone, with an Irish accent! I took that to be a lucky omen, and one scratcher won me a free ticket and the other won me $5.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I guess that Burly Man had been on the phone with the truck guy, and had seen him waiting at the stoplight out in front, then started walking to the pump as the truck guy made his turn and drove in, just as I was walking across to the pumps.

Congrats on your winners! Yes, a good omen on the accent.

Rae said...

From what I have been seeing on utoob and various other social media sites, there have been some encounters with people actually accosting other people of late. Whether it be the high costs of foods or drug related (our town has lots of meth issues that never seems to get better) or, in some cases, from people who have recently migrated into the country. I have my opinion of that situation and will not argue it here, on your blog, but it doesn't hurt, under any circumstances to be ever vigilant, regardless. I worry also because my days of sprinting across the parking lot are well in the past. Stay safe. Ranee (MN)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
I'm used to having eyes in the back of my head, from all those years of teaching! I just have to use my awareness to avoid situations, because I'm not capable of putting up a good fight or flight. Sometimes I think the perpetrators would rather seek a more unaware target than one who gives them the stinkeye or keeps looking over her shoulder at them. Perhaps somebody with their head down, looking at their phone.