Friday, March 8, 2024

The Storm That Didn't Arrive

Poor Pony. He was in a funk on Thursday morning. Rain was forecast for 7 hours, starting around 10:00 a.m. That makes mail delivery difficult, you know. Getting soaked, squishy shoes, wet mail, slippery steps. The Pony said his rain jackets were in his work vehicle. And that taking extra socks wouldn't matter, since they would be soaked within minutes.

I felt bad for The Pony. But reminded him that it's only 8 hours. Hopefully. Since if other workers don't show up, The Pony could be told to help with other routes when finished.

However... after a 15-minute deluge at 11:15, the rain dissipated. Even The Pony said, "The rain is being inconsistent and not even a third as bad as was forecast. This makes me nervous it'll hit all at once. Just waiting for me to take off my rain helmet!"

"Heh, heh. The Universe is a cheeky prankster!"

A little later, The Pony reported, "Took off my hat at 12:36. At 12:39 it started sprinkling again."

Anyhoo... The Pony said he had only about half the usual packages, and might finish the day 20 minutes ahead of schedule. "Just going slow and careful, because I don't want to be given any extra to do tonight in the rain when I'm done."

"Good idea. Work smarter, not harder."

I had also suggested that at least rain might mean that loose dogs would not be out roaming. The Pony had a chuckle at that assumption. "They're still out there. Just wet."

Anyhoo... I didn't hear when The Pony clocked out. But the rest of the day was not rainy. Just a couple sprinkles when I was in town, getting T-Hoe's weekly gas.

Another storm avoided.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The rain would make his job unpleasant! Glad it wasn't too bad.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I reminded him at least it wasn't ice or snow or in the dark. And only 8 hours. So that helped a little. Even more, the fact that he wouldn't be standing in front of 180 high school kids, trying to impart some learning and keep order, with four minutes per hour for bathroom needs, and a 20 minute lunch surrounded by mayhem.

River said...

The Pony needs some sort of waterproofing for his boots/shoes. I understand "work smarter m=not harder" with reference to The Pony's job, but it ddn't make sense to me when we were told it in the shoe factory, when the only way to get the day's quota done on time was to work hard and fast. Working smarter got a "What? How?" from me.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
They have rubber shoe covers for snow, but that would make feet sweat during a rain, and probably be slippery for climbing steps.

Yes, you would think that workers in the shoe factory would already know any smart "short cuts" and be utilizing them to meet their quota.