Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Their Reputation Precedes Them

I went in the Sis-Town Country Mart on Monday. I was planning to look for some fried chicken in their deli. Just before leaving home, I realized that I was OUT OF MAYONNAISE! That never happens. I always have a reserve jar waiting. But not this time. So that was added to my "list" along with soda on sale for Farmer H, and some slaw to go with the chicken.

Good thing we aren't out of bananas yet. The selection there was HORRIBLE! Only a few bunches of mottled dark small bananas, looking like they'd had quite a rough voyage to get here. 

An older woman was wheeling her cart around the pre-packaged bakery goods. I'm pretty sure this store has a bakery along with their deli. But I doubt they made these cakes. The kind on a black plastic base, with a clear dome covering.

Anyhoo... Older Woman picked up several. Then asked the girl working in the deli area,

"Are these cakes fresh?"

"Yes, Ma'am?"

"I wanted to know if these cakes are fresh."

"The date should be on the tag on each one."

"Oh. I see. Yes. I'll be able to eat this one before it goes bad."

Heh, heh! AS IF! That's not a problem we have around the Mansion. A cake will never go bad. Besides, it's not like one day they're fine to eat, and at midnight they turn deadly. 

Still, I understand. Country Mart is notorious for selling out-dated goods. I don't blame Older Woman. I prefer not to spend my money on their overpriced items when they are not even in their prime. I made sure to check the date on my mayonnaise. JULY, 2024.

Can you believe that jar of mayonnaise was $5.98??? That's outrageous! That's why my previous three or four jars had been off the bargain bin at 10Box. Marked down to $2.50. Of course, it WAS expired...

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Mayonnaise is not something you want to take a chance on!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
It's not like I open the jar and leave it in the sun on the porch all day! And I didn't buy all those jars at once. Just one at a time. I figured if I had an expired jar at home, I'd still use it for a couple months past the date. The way The Pony is a Butterton, I'm a Mayoton. It doesn't last all that long. I'm still kickin', despite eating four jars of expired mayo in the last six months or so!

River said...

How big is that jar for $5.98? Probably it will all be gone by the time the date rolls around anyway. I like mayo, but if I had to choose between mayo and butter, the butter would win.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Just the standard size jar. It says 30 ounces, or 887 ml. I use way more mayo than butter. I even spread it on bread or buns that I am toasting, rather than butter. The July expiration date will come way after I've used that mayo!