Thursday, March 28, 2024

Whose Job Is It, Anyway?

As long as there are clerks in convenience stores, Mrs. HM will never run out of things to complain write about!

Wednesday, I went in the Liquor Store for scratchers. I had a $77 winner in my hand. As usual, I stepped up to the counter. No other customers in view. The clerk was the little guy who always wears his hoody up. He's nice enough, though a bit disinterested in the whole "work" concept. I still slip a dollar into his tip jar when it's out, because he is polite enough.

This time, as I stepped to the counter, he stepped sideways behind the register. Off to my right. I thought he was on the phone. I could hear talking. Thought he was mumbling a response. I couldn't see if he was holding a phone under his hood. 

I perused the lottery tickets, whose display now sits on the floor, due to a wall of see-through little cubes that hold assorted vapes. Kind of like a giant shadow box. I had my winner laying on the counter. I knew the new tickets I wanted. If only that clerk would get off the phone! I tried to be polite. Gave him a glance. He turned away. I stood facing the counter. Looked at stuff sitting there. No tip jar out this time.

A couple of other customers came in, clanging the cow bell attached to the door as I had when I entered. They wandered around the liquor area. I kept waiting. I'm never in a hurry. I just wondered when the clerk would be done with his call, which I assumed to be about something he needed for the store. He wasn't saying much.

Then the clerk said, "Can I get you something?"

What in the NOT-HEAVEN! He wasn't on the phone at all! He'd just been standing there, not saying anything. I guess what I heard was the person waiting on the drive-thru customers behind the shelf that divides that window from the counter.

Sweet Gummi Mary! That could have gone on all day, if those other customers hadn't come in!

"Yes. I want to cash in this $77 winner."

"Do you just want cash back?"

"No. I'm going to get some tickets."

I said the numbers of my tickets, giving him time to rip them off the roll before mentioning the next one. Because of getting two of the $3 tickets, I had a dollar coming back with my change.

NO DOLLAR FOR YOU!

Am I wrong to think it's the "job" of the clerk to greet a customer by asking how he can help them? At least saying, "What can I getcha?" Maybe just a grunt to acknowledge a customer's presence! Why else would a customer stand at the counter holding a scratcher for five minutes? I was actually to the point of walking out without getting anything, it was taking so long.

I was a bit annoyed. He even gave me the WRONG ticket! One that was next to the one I had asked for. I usually don't complain about such a mistake, because you never know if it might be The Universe's way of giving me an unintended winner.

The Universe and the clerk must have had a good laugh over it being a loser.

3 comments:

Rae said...

It seems to me some basic education on how to greet customers could come in handy. How ridiculous for this idiot to not ask you if they could help you or what can I do for you today. Good Grief! People! Ranee (MN)

River said...

That's very annoying to be ignored like that. Perhaps he was waiting for you to speak first? He must be very very shy.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
Maybe he did a little too much vaping of a certain kind before starting his shift. He's worked there for a while, and usually steps up and says something like "How's it goin'?" That's why I figured he was busy with something else this time.

***
River,
He's very very odd. Always has that hood up. But he's friendly enough to the customers most times. I walked up, put my winning ticket on the counter, and looked him in they eye. That's when he turned away and stepped to the side. I don't think it's my responsibility to say, "Hey! Get over here and wait on me!" He seemed like he had something else to do, and I heard those voices that turned out to be not-him, and not-his-phone.