Sunday, May 2, 2021

It's Uncanny How Even Steven Lurks In The Bushes, Waiting To Pounce

With The Pony heading off to four days of training out-of-town this week, we had to ensure that he had the wherewithal for survival. We called to get the credit limit raised on his credit card, so he could pay for the room reservation.

Here's the thing about that credit card. It was almost impossible to get. Two years ago, with The Pony all the way in Oklahoma mid-college, Farmer H and I thought it was time that he get some credit established for when he would eventually be living on his own. (Little did we consider that such a date might be INFINITY!) But everywhere I tried said NO. We finally got one through our bank, on his student account. Since I am on that account as well, to do transactions while he was all the way in Oklahoma, I had to be in on the call to raise the limit. 

Sweet Gummi Mary! I must have been on the phone 20-30 minutes. First was a guy with an accent. Kind of like Apu on The Simpsons. I could understand him just fine, but I couldn't HEAR HIM. The volume was all the way up on our new phone. I think we have a problem on the line. There's a hum. But it didn't help that he had such a conversational tone, dropping his volume at the ends of sentences. I asked twice for him to speak up, saying I had a problem on my phone, and he said, "Let me refer you to someone else." 

This Gal was a little louder, but she also had the conversational problem. This is a matter of BUSINESS, people! Stop chatting like we're sitting in a quaint little shop sipping tea. This Gal veered off topic several times, telling me things she related to her personal life. Yes, she was personable, but I had things to do! Like play Candy Crush on my HIPPIE. Anyhoo... after going through how much money each of us makes a month, asking our housing costs, congratulating me profusely on owning my own home, and calculating The Pony's projected annual income... she said, 

"I'm happy to inform you that your credit has now been raised to $1000."

Well. That was a bit anticlimactic. The old limit was $500. The credit card Farmer H and I use (and pay off in full each month) has a limit 25X The Pony's new limit. It seemed like a lot of hassle to go through for that amount. The Pony has never had a late payment, and always paid the full amount. It was usually around $30, for gas. That's all he used credit for, and just to have a record of prompt payment.

The Pony was fine with it. "After all, Mom. They did DOUBLE the limit." 

Anyhoo... The Pony doesn't use his bank account for anything but transferring money to pay his credit card. He will NOW, since he'll be getting a salary. But he didn't keep anything in there over $500. With the raising of the credit card limit, and this trip coming up, I took $1000 of money that I'd been putting aside in case The Pony had needed to pursue another year of college, and deposited it in the account. 

Yes, I made the deposit on Thursday, my errand day, around 3:00. When I stopped to pick up the mail coming home, I saw a letter from Farmer H's insurance. It said that they were not paying for the anesthesia for the surgery he had a couple weeks ago. WHAT IN THE NOT-HEAVEN? What kind of insurance approves a surgery, but expects the patient to be conscious for it???

Anyhoo... Farmer H is going to bring that up to the doctor on his follow-up visit. They had assured him that they had pre-approval for everything. We don't have an actual bill, but the notice from insurance that we MIGHT get one from the provider.

The amount of the uncovered anesthesia charges? $920. I guess Even Steven was feeling $80 worth of generous.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Maybe with all the people doing podcasts and Instagram "stories," the medical field has changed. Maybe they want the surgical patients awake and conscious so they can do a podcast or take Instagram pictures while they're getting cut open.

Farmer H could have been getting texts about some guns/Betty Boop hatrack/Marty Feldman eyechart for sale during his surgery... if only he had not had anesthesia...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Maybe they had a special dance choreographed, and expected Farmer H to join in. Or maybe they're having a problem (like every other business around here) getting employees to show up for work, and were hoping Farmer H could hold a retractor, or hand instruments to the doctor.

River said...

Your bank decides your credit limit? Is that a daily amount or weekly? Monthly? My debit card has a daily limit chosen by me, which I never use, except once when buying furniture and needed that amount.
As I recall the anaesthesia is always separate from the actual surgery, but they should have made you aware of that at the beginning so you could plan for it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The bank is the issuer of this credit card, so it sets the maximum limit. I guess The Pony could charge that much in a day, or on one item, or accumulate charges over the month. When he hits the limit, he can't charge any more until he pays something. Then he could again go up to the limit.

His debit card is separate, linked to the money in his account. So he could use it until his balance was down to zero.

Farmer H's surgery was done at a surgery center. It's like a package deal, all inclusive. They assured him they had approval before they knocked him out that day. I know from hospital surgeries, we've gotten separate bills from anesthesia, and different doctors, for the percentage we owed after our insurance was used.

This time Farmer H's insurance paid NOTHING on the anesthesia. He paid up front, ahead of time, for his portion of the costs that remained after insurance. So this would be like bait-and-switch if suddenly the center actually bills Farmer H the $920. As far as he knew, he'd paid everything he owed before the surgery.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Like the Pony said, they did double it! Good luck to the Pony on his training. I doubt my nephew had any training to be a rural carrier. I suppose it helps that he already knew everyone on his route, having lived in the same place for all of his 50 years. About that bill, you know I would be complaining loudly. Just ask that Grasshopper rep!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H has the letter, and he's going to pick that bone next week at his follow-up appointment. So far we haven't gotten an official bill from the surgery facility.

The Pony said there were rural carriers in his orientation class. They all have to watch the safety training films about defensive driving. Though I doubt your nephew had to do the driver's training to be certified on the vehicles, since rural carriers use their own.

I'm glad you kicked that Grasshopper to the curb, and got a reliable mower. The rep is probably even more glad than I am!