Saturday, May 1, 2021

A Call When Told Prevents A Sharp Tongue Unrolled

Join me in the process of coordinating resources that would rival the planning of D-Day.

As you recall, The Pony has four days of training next week. He has known that he must reserve a motel room for four nights. He has instructions for getting the government rate, and rules for reimbursement. One of which is to CALL for reservations, rather than booking online. He has a map of hotels and training venues.

Farmer H has decided to visit a buddy in that city, staying two nights. He will hang out with his buddy during the day, and have dinner with The Pony in the evening. I discussed the pros and cons of the eight hotels listed on The Pony's papers. It is my job to book Farmer H's room. I started the process on Wednesday evening.

"Pony, you need to make your reservations, so I know it's okay to get Dad's."
 
"I'm waiting until Friday or Saturday."
 
"That's pushing it a little late. They might run out of rooms. It's by campus, and kids might be moving out and getting picked up by parents."
 
"Maybe after my headache gets better..."
 
Didn't happen. Tried Thursday. Put it off again. I went ahead and got a room for Farmer H. The hotel of choice was closed for the VIRUS. The one next to it gave me Farmer H's room. The Pony was still dragging his hooves on FRIDAY EVENING, after his job-shadowing.
 
"You have to do it. I already have Dad's room."
 
"Okay. I'll call at 5:00." 
 
Well. Famous last words. I started getting texts in my lair. Whereas Genius will send a picture, or three words every six weeks, The Pony sends "War and Peace" in each text. 
 
"Their government rate is only for active duty military. And a few others: they said they had nothing for postal people at the lower rate."
 
"Then why did your papers list those specific hotels? There are millions of them in Springfield. It's the third largest city in Missouri. They must have a contract with them, to only list those. Can you contact the post office?"
 
"I think the list is just hotels in the area. This one could have a policy that they just set aside a few for each agency. I'm pretty sure it's not an actual requirement to offer it to anyone but active duty military." 

"You don't know anything about it. Contact the post office. You might reach someone before 6:00. If not, you will have to eat the difference. It will be several hundred bucks."

"The post office people are not going to know anything about one specific hotel's policy."

"They will have to explain why they put it on the list of where to stay. Out of all the choices."

"Dad's suggestion is to book online, where it gives me the option to check "government" and get the price allowed for the government rate, then if they say postal employees don't qualify, ask why and make a stink about it."

"They said to CALL, not to book online. You'd be violating the instructions, and may not get reimbursed."

"I said I'm not confrontational, and Dad said he'd be pushy for me. Worst case, we just pay the higher rate, and I still get the $96 per night reimbursement."

"UNLESS you don't, for violating the instructions and booking online."

I went upstairs, tired of the texting. Told The Pony to contact his orientation guy, since if he'd tried to book the room when I told him, he could have brought it up the next day and had an answer. He sent a text. And also showed me the hotel website's definition of "government rate." Any military personnel or state or federal government employee on government business.

"Exactly! I think you got a front desk person who is probably a college student working for minimum wage, mad at working on a Friday night, or busy checking in people, who just didn't want to deal with taking your reservation. OR too stupid to understand that a post office worker is an employee of the federal government.

You can call back later tonight, and see if you get someone else. Or at least get the name of the person, ask why their website says you qualify for the discount, and then ask for a supervisor to explain it if you don't get a reservation."

"I got my response from my orientation guy. He says I can stay ANYWHERE, as long as it's the same price or less than the government rate of $96 per night. I'm looking for somewhere else in that area. Here's one. La Quinta. Didn't you and Dad stay at one in Oklahoma?"

"Yeah. They're okay. Nothing ritzy. But clean and reasonable and with a free breakfast."

"It says I can get the government rate. There are five rooms left."

"We need to talk to Dad to see if he's okay with that. He's out mowing. And I'll have to cancel his other reservation."

"He can actually get it cheaper than me, with his AAA discount. I have a AAA card. I could save $8 a night off the government rate."

"But then they might not reimburse you, for not following policy. It's a GOVERNMENT job. You'll find out soon enough what that entails."

"Huh. While we were talking, it now says only four rooms available."

"Book it! Get on the phone and get it done. Dad will have to accept it. He's not the one doing all the work."

Of course Farmer H came in just as The Pony was starting the call. Tried to turn up the TV. I called him in the kitchen, but he is a loud-talker.

Anyhoo... The Pony booked his room. I turned on HIPPIE at the kitchen table, and booked Farmer H's room. It is $100 cheaper for the two nights than the other place. I have since canceled the first reservation. I got a little gal who was SO POLITE. The Pony could have probably finagled a government reservation from her...

Farmer H is fine with the other room. They have an indoor pool. I assume it's open. There's no notice that it's not. Hope they're not in for a big surprise when they get there. I'm so exhausted from the ordeal that it will take me four days to recover. 

Hopefully, The Pony has learned a little bit about procrastination, and what he will need to do to fend for himself in the future. It's pretty expensive being a doormat. Also pretty expensive to balk at following the official policies in a government job.

4 comments:

River said...

Hmmm, it seems The Pony is the same breed my dad used to put his money on at the racetrack. I'm sure some of them are even now still limping towards the finish line and my dad died 21 years ago.
He needs to get it together. The Pony, not my dad.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The Pony has a lot of Farmer H in him. Not the procrastinating part. He gets that from ME. But The Pony and Farmer H would rather belabor a point with "explanations," rather than accept their wrongness and move forward to a solution.

Sioux Roslawski said...

An indoor pool? Will Farmer H wear his normal swimwear at the hotel pool?

I cannot wait for that to happen...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I HOPE NOT! I told him to make sure to pack his orange ACTUAL SWIM TRUNKS this time. Last time he forgot, he just didn't swim.