Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Am I Worth The Olives?

I was disappointed the other night to find that my cupboard was bare of sliced black olives. I was sure I had some, to put on nachos. Then I remembered that I had picked them up in Country Mart, but refused to buy them for their outrageous price. Still. I really wanted them for nachos. Or maybe pizza.

The Pony and Farmer H had converged on my Candy Crush gaming room Monday morning (12:30 p.m.). It's not like I invited them. They each had a request for my store trip. Chocolate-covered raisins for each of them. And The Pony said if I could find a bottle of rum, to get it. Farmer H wanted a six pack of fancy bottled beer (not so fancy, just a domestic brand, but NOT The Beast or Natty Light). Yes, now that Country Mart has changed owners (I refuse to use the name of the new chain), they have a liquor department.

Anyhoo... I found the exact rum The Pony had requested, and saw four varieties of the beer Farmer H mentioned. I picked the most basic one, leaving the "with lime and cactus something" in the cooler. Over on the olive aisle, I again looked at the thin holey objects of my desire. They were 98 CENTS A CAN! For a little bitty can! I could have bought three large cans of black olives for $5. They were on special. But I don't need three large cans of black olives. Sure, I've sliced them myself before. But it's easier to have them already sliced. Still. 98 CENTS A CAN! And that was the store brand!

You know what? I decided right there to get three small cans of sliced olives. If The Pony could have rum, and Farmer H could have beer, I'll be darned if I was going to skimp on sliced black olives!

They are stacked in the pantry next to the salsa, awaiting my craving.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I'll have to start sending you my olives. When I get a pizza that has black olives, I pick them off and throw them away.

Expect an envelope from me soon...

River said...

98 cents! over here that would be a bargain. I buy them in jars so I can more easily see how many is left and always buy a new jar when the old one is less than one third full. I only ever use them on pizza and very occasionally finely chopped in spaghetti sauce. I get a 350gram jar and it's usually around $3.98 or more depending on the brand. I used to buy miniature bottles of rum, to make rum/chocolate mud cakes, but hubby kept drinking them even after I hid them (not under a towel) and we got sick of mud cakes anyway, so now I don't buy any at all.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yes, Madam. Sent that care package forthwith! I can hardly wait. Maybe I will take a lawn chair down to Mailbox Row, and hope the webbing can stand up to my ample rumpus for 10 weeks. I hope nobody detects the tantalizing aroma and OPENS my envelope of black olives!

Pick them off and THROW THEM AWAY??? What kind of PSYCHO does THAT?

***
River,
I've never seen black olives in jars, but I've never seen green olives in cans! Once I open a can, I have to put the leftover olives in a container. I try to drain off the dark liquid before storing them.

Heh, heh! I guess the "hiding under a towel" only works for one specific man.